Chapter 6: Closer

Start from the beginning

Sharena came over to sit next to me. Ever since we met, this had somehow become routine. She still felt guilty about taking me away from Y/N, so she was making up for it in any way possible. I sank my nails into my arm. I hope she hasn't noticed anything...

Sharena: Lucina... Are you all right? You've been acting quite strange recently... I can't put my finger on it.

Lucina: I-I'm fine! Really, everything's all right. Just feeling a little bit homesick, that's all.

I turned around and gulped. Lying on the ground were the covered bodies of three heroes, waiting for their proper burial. We had lost a few of them in our battles... But this time, the sight of them gave me a splitting headache. I let out a whimper, clutching my forehead and teetering in my seat.

Why did the sight of death affect me so? Did it have anything to do with this... voice?

Sharena saw everything, placing a reassuring hand on my shoulder. The world started spinning...

Sharena: I don't think you're fine...

???: Lucina... Death is everywhere. You can't escape it...

I tried to scream, but my throat was dry. All that came out was a sullen croak. The voice was right. Wherever I went, I wouldn't be able to escape... No matter what I did.

Spots danced around the corners of my vision, and I felt like I was on the brink of blacking out. But, just as I was about to faint, Sharena poured my cup of scalding coffee on me, making me yelp.

But it did the trick. I came back to reality, the voice gone.

Sharena: You were spacing out... and you looked like you were about to faint...

Lucina: I needed that...

Sharena: You have to tell me now, Lucina. Are you okay? What would your fiancee say?

I hated it when she played that card. But fiancee did have a nice sound to it.

Lucina: H-He would tell me that I should get help...

Sharena: That's right. Now, what's wrong?

Lucina: There's a v-voice in my head... I don't know why it's there, or how it got there. But it fills my mind with evil and vindictive thoughts I-I...

My face assumed an expression that was a cross between panic and desperation. Both of my hands moved to my head, clenching my hair.

Lucina: I can't take it anymore!

Sharena gazed at me, concerned. After thinking to herself for a little while, she grabbed my hand, and stood up.

Sharena: Maybe the voice just has something to do with your lack of rest. I'll get someone to brew up a sleeping potion for you. Go back to your room and try to unwind.

I nodded, as docile as a lamb. Maybe she was right... I hoped so.

If she wasn't, well...

Let's try not to think about that just yet...

--Y/N POV--
The sky was darkening rapidly, but I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight knowing that the gateway could just be five minutes from here. I had to keep going.

I ducked underneath the branch of a strong, old oak tree, and gasped as a clearing revealed itself to me. It was quite big, with a large pond covering part of the area. The middle of the clearing was occupied by a big stone structure.

I shakily ran towards it, running my hand over the aged rock. It was real! The rumors were true!

The structure had three staircases on opposite sides, all leading up to a triangular platform. Dolmens circled it entirely, giving it the aura that this used to be a place of pagan worship.