Chapter 1

New York, the city of skyscrapers and Manhattan is the epicentre of that. Why just of New York. If we will call it the financial capital of the world then also it won't be counted in exaggeration. Some of the prominent organizations from all across the globe have their headquarters situated there.

Life has become fast everywhere, faster it has become in Manhattan. People do everything in order to keep up with the pace. They push themselves to new limits. It is always harder than the last time.

Not everyone needs to run there are few who decide the pace "the giants". They have got everything almost everything at their disposal. Everyone wants to be one of them.

In Manhattan, every single minute matters and every second count. It's worth more than days in most of the remaining world.

Let's visit the centre. 432 Park Avenue.

The shades of orange and red of a clear sky in the evenings can both defy and define loneliness. In case you don't agree, try to find out, sometime.

Sometimes we have all of it and at the same time, we have absolutely nothing.

Jake is lying in his bed, his back facing the ceiling. It is now more than 24 hours. Not even for one second, he has left the bed.

The thick hue of orange has filled the room from the window panes escaping through the side of curtains. The colour was adding to the gloom which already had engulfed the room.

He misses her. He wants her back. The bedsheets seem to have something of her. The sheets beneath which they used to cuddle each other in their arms. The sheets beneath which they satiated their carnal desires. The sheet beneath which they soaked themselves in the most passionate of the moments.

The large king-sized bed of that dark mahogany which has witnessed millions of promises. Promises, those done in words and those done without words. The silent ones which we do once we spent ourselves completely in the heat of love. It had witnessed their passion, the lust, desires and the craving for each other.

"Why she has gone and where" was all he could think about.

The screams in his mind were getting louder with each passing moment. He didn't want to leave the bed. He was sleeping over her silk robe which she used to wear after the shower. In which he used to see her most of the time when she used to awaken him.

The tall muscular body which he once used to think was invincible was shattering into small pieces. It was becoming hard to keep himself intact. It felt like a part of his soul was missing.

"How could she?" How could she leave me?

She had promised.

I will never forgive her. I will never talk with her again.
Veronika!!! Where are you??

His body lied motionless as if he was dead. The only signs which suggested otherwise were the occasional murmur accompanied with a shiver "Veronika, why darling?? Come back, I am alone.

Vows were being taken in his mind of never forgiving her if she returned. He was unconscious, but was he? Or was he superconscious?

He heard the faintest of footsteps. Heels clicking on the floor. The clicking grew distinct as it neared. The lovely smell of her perfume reached his nostrils, working wonders, the signs of life started to become prominent.

He heard the unmistakable sound of a key being inserted in the keyhole of the door and the knob is turned. The clicking sound of the knob being turned echoed in the unusual silence. He desperately wanted to turn back, to see who it was. His head started to spin.

The fatigue was taking over him and the empty bottles lying beside his bed certainly were to be accused along with lack of sleep. To keep the consciousness was getting tough.

She called out, "Jake, honey, won't you hug me"?

Her voice did wonders. Every note got hit perfectly. He felt a rush of new strength in his body. A few moments ago he was struggling to turn his head and there he was on his feet just a couple of feet away from his beloved wife. His darling, his precious, his and only his Veronika. He stood there with his jaw dropped.

There was silence in the room for a few moments and then he broke the silence.