Chap. 2 - An interesting encounter

"So" said Ian while grinning cheekily, "I'm Crawford, Ian Crawford, and you are Sophia...?"

"Sophia Di Angelo"

"Well, now that we've managed the basic introductions, how about having a drink?"

Ian then pointed towards the empty bar and offered Sophie his hand. Sophie just looked at him, and after a while nodded.

They sat at the bar and called the barman.

"What would you like Miss Sophia?" inquired Ian.

"A gin and tonic, please"

After turning towards the barman, Ian said: "A gin and tonic for the beautiful Sophia here and a Vodka Martini, shaken not stirred, for me thank you"

"Straight away sir!"

"Somebody here thinks they're James Bond!" said Sophie chuckling.

"Well, look at me! I mean, come on, I'm without doubt more good looking than any James Bond actor you can think of!"

"Personally I think you are just as cocky and smooth, But Sean Connery's charm is just unbeatable!" Sophie suddenly felt the need to strangle him. He seemed to think he was the greatest man in the entire universe. He was just so arrogant and coinceted!

"You did not say that!" said Ian shocked.

"Yes I did!!!" said Sophie smirking, "But you are undeniably funnier and easier to tease!!"

"Why thank you, Sophia! And, if I'm James Bond, you must be my Bond Girl!" Ian suddenly felt very pleased with himself and what he considered a brilliant comeback. He was finally getting the upper hand. Or was he?

"You don't know what you're saying Mr. Crawford. There's no way in hell that I would bother running after a man like you!"

Ian couldn't help feeling suprised. Could he have possibly met his match?!?

At that precise moment the barman returned with their drinks.

"Well" started Sophie "now that we know that we share a common passion for James Bond, can I ask you where you are flying to?" She'd decided that since there was no way for her to escape talking to him, so she might as well make the most of this conversation.

"Of course!" replied Ian "I'm on my way to New York for work! Were are you going?"

"That's interesting! I'm on my way to Italy for two weeks, but straight after I'm going to New York too!!! What are you going for?"

Ian suddenly felt interested. She wasn't just a beautiful young woman who evidently hadn't fallen for his charms too easily, she was someone who apparently was going to New York at exactly the same moment as him. Could she be going for the same reason? It was highly unlikely that he bumbed into a person going to the same United Nations convention as him two weeks from then on the opposite side of the world, but still... So, instead of asking another question himself, he decided to simply reply. "I'm going to meet up with various celebrities from all over the world to talk about the problems of child labour! I work for UNICEF, you see."

"Wow, what a coincidence!" said Sophie, suprised "So do I! I guess I'm not wrong then if I say I'll see you at the convention there in two weeks?"

"No, your not!" said Ian with a huge smile on his face. Foe some unknow reason he couldn't help but smile when talking to her. "From your perfect English accent I'm assuming you are going to be there to represent the UK? I'll be there on behalf of the American government."

Sophie then thought she was right in having imagined he was American and said that yes, she worked for UNICEF, in particular for the British branch. She also added that she was actually half Italian, which he had probably already guessed from her surname. Se said she was on her way home to Italy so visit her parents and her younger sister Viola. She said that she really missed her because she hardly managed to see her because of their really time consuming jobs. Unfortunately, although she talked to her nearly everyday on Skype it wasn't the same as seeing her in person.

Ian nodded and said, "I know the feeling, I don't like not being able to see my family enough, but it comes with the job. I imagine you wouldn't have gotten yours either if you hadn't worked really hard for it, so I assume it's extremely important to you because it forces us to make many sacrifices, but, personally, I couldn't be happier! This is my dream! It's hard and sometimes brings me to the brink of having a nervous breakdown, but I wouldn't change any part of it!"

Sophie couldn't believe what she was hearing. Suprisingly, Ian Crawford reminded her an awful lot of herself. The whole thing was pretty shocking actually. "I agree wholeheartedly! I dreamt of this my entire life and although I often end up tearing my hair out because things don't always turn out exactly how we wish them to, I wouldn't swap this job for anything else either!!!"

Ian laughed and laughed. He just couldn't believe a little miss perfect like her could literally pull her hair out when stressed out. He then confessed that he banged his head on the wall when he felt pretty desperate and that it more or less came down to the same thing.

Feeling really embarassed Sophie was forced to admit it was true and that she wasn't exaggerating, because it had happend once or twice.

"See, miss Sophia Di Angelo, would you have thought at first that we have so much in common? I'd say not from our first few words."

At this point Sophie burst out laughing heartily "You're right Ian! I didn't think so, but I guess I was wrong!"

Grinning at each other they proceeded to down their drinks.

Sophie couldn't believe she'd gone in half an hour from despising the man to finding him really interesting, and, on the other hand, Ian himself couldn't believe he was actually intrigued by a woman like Sophie, seemingly completely different from the women whom he usually enjoyed the company of.

Was this the beginning of of a great friendship or just a casual and forgettable encounter? Both thought it was probably an encouter they would never forget.

Thank you to everybody who read my first chapter! It means an awful lot to me! I also thank my sister Viola and my friends Giorgia and Francesca for their support (yes, they're the ones in the story). The final thank yous go to my beloved Mum, who helps correct any mistakes even after I've published.
Please be patient with any typing mistakes that come from using my phone...
Till next time
Love, Virginia
xoxoxoxoxoxox