9. Girly Pitches and Wide Catches

Začít od začátku

“Overseas?” She scoffed, “And what position did you play? Right field?” she mocked, her eyebrow raised in challenge “I’m not even convinced you actually know anything about being a catcher, so why should I take advice from you?” she narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

Soraya’s POV:

He was being way too picky about what I was doing, and I call bullshit that he knows what he’s actually on about with this baseball thing and that he went overseas to play. “You think I don't know anything about being a catcher?” Ass asked me.

“That’s exactly what I think.” I responded.

“Strip then.” He told me, his hand out.

“I'm not stripping for you, you dirty bast-”

“The gear Ray. Strip the gear off and give it to me.” he explained further, and I did as he told. I threw the catcher’s mask at him, earning a dirty look after I heard an ‘oof’ from him. I then took off the chest plate and squatted so I could get the legs off. It was crazy the amount of damn gear that we had to wear but I would rather wear that than get broken bones.

I swear both him and Xavier were staring at my ass as the shorts were riding up and barely covered my butt cheeks in the first place. I threw the legs at him, before I gave him a death glare. The wind was cold and I was definitely feeling it now that I didn’t have the extra gear to stop it from hitting my mostly uncovered legs.

“Okay, Xavier go to the right distance and chuck me a few. I’ll show the newbie how it’s done.” Ashton stated, after he had put the gear on and had grabbed a glove. Xavier went to the right distance, but I wasn’t happy with this arrangement. Ashton had surely caught to Xavier before… I hadn’t caught in a while and it was a new pitcher to me, it wasn’t fair to do this.

“Actually guys, this isn’t fair.” I said after Xavier had thrown down a pitch. I knew I could do better, and I smiled a mischievous grin at my plan.

“What isn’t fair?” Ashton asked with some unneeded sass, standing up, taking the mask off and tucking it under his arm. It was kind of attractive, but that might just be because I like baseballers… especially catchers.

“I had to catch to a new pitcher that I had never caught to and you just stroll in with your old pitching buddy and act like it’s the same thing.” I stated.

“And how can we fix that? It’s not like we have a different pitcher here-”

“I’ll pitch to you.” I cut him off, wiping his smug smile off of his face.

“Why should I catch to you, you aren’t even a pitcher.” He stated, obviously unimpressed.

“Uh actually, she said that she could pitch or catch so I think she’ll give you a run for your money.” Xavier defended me, and I smiled. This was going better than I had planned.

“So, any more objections oh ‘holy one’?” I mocked his arrogance, fake bowing before I got the glove that I had and walked to the pitcher’s mound. I put my glove up and he threw the ball to me, with a decent speed behind it. Okay, so maybe he could throw well… that could give him some kind of proof that he was a ‘great’ player.

“You might want to stand a bit closer so the throw makes the distance!” I heard Ashton shouting at me. Jeez, I thought catchers were supposed to support their pitchers not put them down. I only smiled a knowing smile as I placed my right foot on the pitcher’s plate and placed my left foot forward. I put a grip on the ball as I brought it up behind my head. He was so going to regret that insult.

My throw went straight down to his right foot, and I watched as he twisted his body easily to stop the ball. But I realised that as he twisted his body his face scrunched in pain, like the extra strain was on his left ankle would be resulting in pain for him. I was slightly worried, but as soon as he stood up and threw the ball back to me. “Nice outside-low!” He shouted at me, and I only grinned like an idiot knowing that I had won that argument there.