"Caroline called me a few hours ago," he explained, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and letting her fall into his chest. "There's someone she and Alaric need me to pick up, with school starting and everything."

"Hm, I thought that Alaric guy wasn't headmaster anymore?" she hummed.

"He's not, but he and Caroline still kind of own it? I guess. I don't know, the person I'm going to get is special to them I guess, to their friend group."

She nodded and grabbed one of his hands, just playing with it. "This was fun while it lasted, eh?"

He gave her a look and said, "I'd still like for this to continue to be fun."

"You're going back on the road," she sighed, sitting up. "We can't possibly be together when you're not even here."

"You don't do long distance relationships?" he asked.

"I hardly even do relationships," she shook her head, ignoring the flutter in her heart when he said the word 'relationship.' They hadn't even actually had a real conversation about what they were together, and now he was throwing around the word relationship.

She moved his hair of of his face, staring down at him adoringly. "Like I said Roman, this was fun while it lasted."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"The boy who sweats diamonds is gone, huh?" Freya asked, coming out onto the balcony late that night, and Lilah nodded, taking the cup of coffee that Freya offered her.

Lilah found herself out there often, staring out onto the city. She loved everything about New Orleans, but she felt like this wasn't the place she was meant to be.

"Everything still feels wrong, Aunt Freya," she confessed. "We can't figure out why Lorelle is back, we don't know who the girl in the photos is, and I just feel like something isn't right."

"What part feels wrong?" Freya asked.

"Everything."

"I wish I knew who the girl was, too. She obviously meant something to all of us. Any theories?" 

"Mass compulsion?" Lilah shrugged, but she knew that couldn't be it because she, Rebekah, and Kol couldn't be compelled. "I dunno. This seems impossible."

"Our family is the definition fo the impossible being possible."

"Yeah, well, at least before we had explanations for things. Dahlia took us, Grandma Esther turned them, their loophole was a white oak stake, I don't have a loophole. Dahlia kept us apart to prevent you from rebelling against her. Things had explanations," Lilah sighed.

"Not everything," Freya shook her head, wrapping one of her arms around her niece. "You said you still don't know how you got out of that cave."

Lilah's eyes widened for a moment, and she nodded. A thousand years later, and she still had no idea who broke her free of her desiccation. Despite blood on herself and the floor, she had never found a body. 

"I think for now, it's okay to just be grateful," Freya said to her. "Not everything needs an explanation, and we might just drive ourselves mad trying to come up with a solution we're never going to find."