Chapter Twenty-Five: Medicine

Winter changed back into plain clothes while Phoebe went to tell Marcus that she was going to go home and rest.

Winter removed the now-empty bottle from the interior of the gown before tossing the gown into a pile on the floor and returning the bottle to her bag.

Phoebe returned, and together, they went back to Winter's apartment. They took the journey in silence—no point in Winter explaining the plan only to have to explain it again when they met up with River.

When the wound in Winter's stomach started throbbing again, she swallowed more painkillers. Phoebe watched and said nothing, her face not giving away even a hint of emotion.

Winter led the way up the stairs to her apartment, and Phoebe trailed a few feet behind her. Winter pounded on the front door. "River? It's me!"

The silence that followed was brief, but every second was excruciating.

"Secret code?" River called.

"Uh, Daisy?"

Phoebe shot her a confused look. "Name of the dog we had when we were kids," Winter explained.

The door swung open. "Thank god you're okay," River said. He glanced at Phoebe. "And, uh, Phoebe? What are you doing here? I mean, it's good to see you, but—"

"We should probably sit down," Winter interrupted.

"Right. Come in."

They made their way to the dining room and sat at the table. Winter looked around. "Where are Mom and Dad?"

"They, uh, went out looking for you?"

Great. "Did you tell them they were in danger?"

"Trust me, I begged them not to go." River looked down. "I'm sorry, I told them what you told me, but I guess it wasn't good enough." He hesitated. "They said you've been acting really weird lately. They thought you were keeping secrets. That you lied about your job, or something? I don't know, they didn't stick around long after I got back."

"They've been gone all day?" What the hell were they doing?

River nodded. "They called about half an hour ago, actually, so I think they're okay.

"From where?"

"From the hospital. I don't know why they decided to look for you there, but they said if they didn't find you they'd come back."

Winter couldn't deal with this now. If they came back in the middle of this, it would all be over. She rose to her feet. "Then we have to move. I'll explain on the way."

"Where are we going?" River asked.

"First to Forrest's house—"

"Jonathan Forrest?"

Winter nodded. "Then to the factory you work at. If we swapped out some ingredients, could you use the equipment there to produce medicine?"

"Uh, I guess?" River said. "I'd probably have to change some settings—"

"But you know how to do that?"

"Yes."

"Great. Grab your coat."

River looked at Phoebe, apparently hoping to get answers from her, but she simply shrugged.

The lights were on at Forrest's mansion, and there was no shortage of guests enjoying the music and food. Winter ignored River and Phoebes' hesitation and marched up to the open front door.

"Uh, won't we get thrown out?" Phoebe called.

Winter paused. "No. None of these people care. And the host isn't here." And if anyone tried to make them leave, she had weapons.