Chapter Thirteen

Happy New Year!!! Can you BELIEVE it's 2015?! Psycho. That's why I haven't updated in so long, sorry - been on vacation. But now here I am, first upload of the new year whoo hoo! Hope you like this chapter...it's kinda a preview for the turning point of this book, which comes in - I believe - 3 more chapters. We'll see. Hopefully I can write loads this weekend...but my brothers and I might go theater-hopping...eh :/ anyway, please vote and shoot me a comment!!

Gracias! <3 vb123321

Chapter Thirteen

“Guess he figures,” mused Ray slowly as he stared at his reflection, struggling to knot his bowtie, “that you don’t give a crap about anything but soccer, so that’s the only thing he can threaten you with. Kinda genius, really.”

“Genius?”

I threw him an offended look from where I was sprawled on my bed texting, already fully dressed except for my suit jacket, which I was procrastinating until the last second. Ray stood in front of my mirror putting some gunk in his hair and failing with his bowtie.

“You know what I mean,” he said vaguely, frowning at his reflection. “How the heck am I supposed to tie this thing? I knew I should’ve gotten a clip-on.”

“My mom’ll do it for you if you ask her.” I slid my phone into my pocket, flicking lint off my dress pants. “So you’re saying you think it’s fair for him to take away my captainship just because I got a detention?”

Ray shrugged. “Dude, he hasn’t done it yet, chill. You’re stressing about nothing – just don’t get another detention and nothing will happen.”

“Never get another detention ever again?” I snorted. “That’s likely.”

Verdad, bro.”

Irritated, I got to my feet and snatched up my suit jacket. “Come on, we better get downstairs. Kasey will kill me if we’re late.”

“So glad I don’t got a girlfriend who can control me,” Ray said, smirking, as he gave up on the bowtie. “Speaking of which, have you officially asked her yet?”

“No,” I admitted, wincing. “I dunno. Maybe tonight if she’s in a good mood.”

“Huh, good luck with that.”

Shoving my feet into uncomfortable dress shoes, I led the way out of my room downstairs, where my mom hovered with a very motherly smile, camera at ready even though baby Mo was perched on her hip. Cassidy and Sean hovered around her with big admiring eyes, and I heard her tell him that I was going to a ball with a real princess.

“Picture time!” Mom announced, beaming.

I groaned and tried to ward her off, saying, “Mom, we’re going somewhere for pictures. There will be plenty.”

“Just a few,” she assured me. “It’s not everyday that I see my boys so handsome.”