"Try not to judge someone by their race," I finally said, making sure he got my full meaning. "Liesel couldn't help being born a witch any more than you could help being born a werewolf. If witches weren't necessary to survival, the higher powers would take care of it. But as it stands, it seems that we need each other."

A door opened behind me, and a familiar scent flooded my nose. I smiled as Lucas appeared beside me, freshly showered after his run.

"Morning, darling." He kissed my cheek and looped my hand through his arm. "Ready to go down?"

I shot the guard a final look, knowing he intended to stay there until further notice.

"Yes. I'm hungry."

Lucas silently led me down the hall. When we reached the stairs, he glanced over his shoulder. "What were you talking to the guard about? It seemed tense."

"It seems my father has shared his mistrust of witches with the guards," I answered. "He stayed outside Liesel's door because we wouldn't permit him to lock it. He believes that Liesel might be playing us."

"Darling, you know ties are strained between witches and werewolves. It's natural for one to be wary of the other."

"Wary is one option, yes; but at least you still try to get along. This is just defensive. They have lumped all witches into the 'Evil' camp, and that's that. It's no wonder they all went underground. We treat them like prey."

Lucas stopped me at the bottom of the stairs. Voices from the dining room echoed all around us. The house was quite alive for so early in the day.

"We—you and I—" He motioned between us. "—enlisted a witch to help us with your guardian. If all continues to go as well as it has so far, the relations between witches and werewolves will have a positive mark on it. Let us focus on why we came. Hm?"

I took a deep breath and nodded. "Yes. Of course."

"Come on, then." He gently kissed my forehead and whisked us into the dining room.

I sighed at the sight. One long big table set for 15+ people, sideboard loaded with fresh fruits, coffee posts on the table along with platters mounded with meats and breads. Were we supposed to join the crew? Surely my mom wouldn't do that to me.

"Good morning!" a kitchen maid bobbed a curtsy in front of us. "Luna Sierra is waiting on the back patio for you."

Just like Mom... set up a private breakfast for us. Many of the guys at the table looked up as we walked past. A few gawked; most nodded their greetings. I recognized quite a few, but they didn't seem to recognize me. Would they hide signs of familiarity because I was with my mate? Had I changed so much in my time away? Maybe they could smell the changes caused by my pregnancy.

Mom's set up was quite lovely, much of the same fare as the buffet inside but with a few things added. The dishes were obviously nicer, and our white table seated four rather than 20. She stood beside her handiwork, beaming as we approached.

"Mom, this is so nice," I gushed as Lucas pulled out my chair.

She beamed even brighter. "I may not be the most homeliest luna, but I can set a nice table when there's a reason."

Lucas pushed in my chair before sinking into the one next to me. "My mother is—as you say—a very homely luna; and this spread is just as lovely as anything I've seen her do."

"You're very kind, Lucas. Thank you." She set about serving coffee and fruit like she'd been doing it every day of her life.

I couldn't help but notice the empty seat across from me. "Is Dad still in the shower? Should we wait for him?"