A Hit or Miss (5)

*Thurinel's braid* 

The sun had begun to set on the Shire when Gandalf and I began our walk towards Mister Baggins' Hobbit hole. We left our steeds behind at the edge of town. Nerves had begun to churn in my stomach by then, worries of how the Dwarves would react to an elf on their quest to return home. I was hoping that the Hobbit would be as easy to befriend as young Rita had been earlier that day. I did not know what I would have to do to earn their trust during the journey, I did not know if it was even possible. Gandalf noticed my worrying and paused our walk up the hill, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder. I wrung my hands together to hide their shaking.

"They will learn to trust you with time, Princess." Gandalf consoled. Although those words did not do much to aid my anxiety, the wizard took note of my reaction and continued his words of affirmation. "If I am to offer any advice when it comes to tackling Dwarves; establish your dominance while you can. Ensure that they respect you. From there, trust and friendship may be built." I nodded, knowing for certain that I could demand their respect. I opened my satchel and pulled out my silver crown, and placed it atop my head, I wanted my status to be clear for the Dwarves to see. Feeling more comfortable, we began our walk up to the top of the hill once more, already hearing the bustle of the Dwarves.

The wizard and I had finally made it up the hill, Bilbo Baggins' home was in our sight. To my surprise, several Dwarves were standing at the door, waiting to be invited inside, despite the already heavy commotion inside. They glanced back when they heard our approach through the small gate, smiling at Gandalf, but sending looks of shock and upset when they saw me. I gave a curt nod their way regardless. Suddenly, all of our heads snapped around to look at the door as angry stomping came our way from inside. The Dwarves shuffled forward, all wanting to be the first to get inside, pressing themselves against the door.

"Oh no! No, no! There's nobody home. Go away, and bother somebody else. There are far too many Dwarves in my dining room as it is. If- if- if this is some clotterd's idea of a joke, haha, I can only say, it is in very poor taste." I heard a voice through the house. I looked up at Gandalf questioningly, not understanding why the male voice was so upset. The door was ripped open, by a Hobbit, and the eight Dwarves fell forward into a pile, moaning and groaning. "Gandalf!" Mr. Bilbo Baggins said angrily, red in the face, seemingly ready to combust. At that moment I realized what a cruel trick Gandalf had played on this poor Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins was not aware of the company's arrival. It made me wonder how little he knew of the tasks at hand.

The Dwarves collected themselves and ran inside uninvited, Gandalf following them by pushing past the angry Hobbit. I could not bring myself to enter that poor gentleman's home uninvited and further add to his stress so I waited politely to be invited inside. Bilbo spluttered and turned to me. His eyes widened in shock, "An elf? What has Gandalf gotten me into?" He said to himself and sighed. "At least you wait to be invited in, please come on in."

I smiled and nodded. "Thank you." I walked inside, ducking under the doorway. "It seems like this was a surprise for you?" I asked, attempting to bring his attention away from the bustle deeper in his home.

"Oh boy, was it! I was simply relaxing in my kitchen, ready to eat dinner when-" He was cut off by a loud bang and ran off screaming nonsense about tablecloths and family heirlooms. Hobbits have strange priorities, very strange indeed.

I stood by the dining room entrance and watched as the entire group of Dwarves, all 12 of them, raided Bilbo's pantry, taking every scrap and morsel of food they found. It was very difficult for me to watch, rambunctiousness and piggishness were not traits that were familiar to myself or my people. The poor, distressed, Hobbit ran after every Dwarf as they ran off with his food, attempting to save anything he could from the hungry Dwarves. They had no regard for Bilbo's belongings, I found myself thankful that they weren't instead my houseguests.