Jeno was clearly the most intimidating one, a cross tattooed onto his right cheekbone. His jawline was sharp, his eyes dark. Ayeon would probably cry if she ever encountered him alone.

"Jeno's pretty intimidating, right?" Donghyuck asked. Ayeon nodded.

"It's because he's our leader's younger brother. He acts all tough but on the inside, he's a complete softie." Donghyuck told her.

"You're forgetting the important details." Taeil said as he placed their plates on the table.

"What details?" Ayeon asked as Donghyuck shot Taeil a glance. Taeil ignored him.

"He's their cousin." Taeil informed her. Ayeon's eyes widened.

"Doesn't that mean you're like..." Ayeon raised her hand, "pretty up there."

"No." "You bet." Donghyuck and Taeil said at the same time, making Ayeon giggle. Donghyuck sighed.

"It's not that big of a deal." Donghyuck said.

"Sureeee." Taeil responded with a wide smile.

"Just eat the food, will you?" Donghyuck said, clearly annoyed. Taeil giggled.

"This is why I love spending time with Haechan. I feel young again." Taeil said, giving Ayeon a wink. Ayeon smiled at the two of them before digging into the delicious breakfast Taeil had made.

Once they were done eating, Taeil said that he'll do the dishes despite how much the other two wanted to help. Taeil insisted, saying that the other two needed to rest.

"After I'm done, I'll drive you back." Taeil told Ayeon.

"No, I'll take her." Donghyuck said but Taeil shook his head.

"That's not resting like I told you to do." Taeil said, making Donghyuck pout.

"Don't worry, we go to school together." Ayeon said, reaching out and patting his arm. Taeil gave Donghyuck a look.

"Well, I'm going to get started on this mess." Taeil said, taking the pile of dishes. Before he left, he added one more comment.

"Plus, I think you have a lot to talk to Ayeon about." Taeil said, giving Donghyuck a serious look before leaving.

"What's that about?" Ayeon asked a Taeil disappeared into the kitchen. Donghyuck let out a deep sigh.

"Can you help me back to the room, I want to talk about this in a more private space." Donghyuck asked. Ayeon opened her mouth to ask why but closed it once she saw the look on Donghyuck's face.

"Alright."

Ayeon helped Donghyuck to the room the slept in together, the male sitting up onto the bed. Donghyuck motioned to the space beside him and Ayeon sat down next to him.

Ayeon was surprised when Donghyuck wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her closer to him, a small gasp escaping her lips. Donghyuck chuckled before lifting her hand and placing it on his chest.

Ayeon felt his heartbeat, strong against her palm. His heart was beating rapidly and when she looked into his eyes, she noticed that he was staring at her intensely, a small blush creeping on his cheeks.

"Do you know why my heart is like this?" Donghyuck asked.

"Huh?" Ayeon said, biting her lip. Donghyuck chuckled.

"It's because of you." Donghyuck told her. "I barely know you, yet you're already driving me crazy. There's just this certain pull I feel towards you."

"I... I honestly feel it too." Ayeon admitted, knowing that her cheeks were probably red like a tomato. Donghyuck only smiled as he took Ayeon's hand, giving her a quick squeeze.

"I never believed in love at first sight. Or love at all to be honest. But you, you changed that for me." Donghyuck confessed, moving his focus to tuck a strand of hair behind Ayeon's ear.

"I... " Ayeon didn't know what to say to him. Donghyuck's face became serious as he met her eyes again.

"Shh, you don't have to say anything." Donghyuck said, reaching into his pocket. "I just want your number."

Ayeon took the phone from his hands and quickly typed in her number before sending herself a message. She passed it back to Donghyuck and he smiled before returning it to his pocket.

"Do you know why I asked for your number?" Donghyuck asked. Ayeon shook her head.

"Taeil, he said we had a lot to talk about, right?" Ayeon said, curious as to what the brown-haired male had meant. Donghyuck nodded his head.

"That's right. He was referring to the gang." Donghyuck told her.

"The Phoenixes?" Ayeon asked.

"Yes, the Phoenixes." Donghyuck took a deep breath, closing his eyes before opening them again.

"Like many gangs, we have a lot of rules. We, the Phoenixes, have five simple written laws, but also many many unwritten laws. Unspoken rules, but everyone still abides by them." Donghyuck explained.

"Does one of them have to do with me?" Ayeon asked. Donghyuck hesitated before slowly nodding.

"Yes, kind of. There's two problems here. One is that we can't be seen with non-Phoenixes. We hang out with each other and that's about it." Donghyuck told her.

"You said there was two. What's the other one?" Ayeon asked.

Donghyuck inhaled deeply before letting it out with a small pout, looking away. He brought his hand up, rubbing the back of his neck.

"It's an absolute sin to love someone that's not a phoenix."

———————————————————————————

Welp what is he going to do now?