Chapter One

I inhale the cold, midnight air and I exhale in a familiar pattern. My (H/L) (H/C) hair flows in the light breeze while my thoughts don't. I fix my gaze to the glittery spots on the navy blue sky. As I take a shaky breath, I sense the presence of a certain ghost friend.

"The stars are beautiful," I whisper without turning to look at him. My voice is carried by the wind. "Have you ever wondered what it would be like to touch them?" I climb onto the frame of the window and lean out, readying myself to take a step.

"W-wait," Hanako grabs my forearm.

I make a small noise in my throat and meet eyes with him. I slightly tilt my head to the side. His hair covers his eyes. His hand trails down to mine and his grip tightens. "What's wrong, Hanako?"

"Don't do it."

I lightly smile and bring him up to the window frame with me without saying a word. My hand reaches up to his face. I slightly lift it up so that his eyes were leveled with mine. "Don't be sad. Smile, please."

The corners of his lips slightly lift up, but I can tell it was by force. I decide not to pressure him on. I've known Hanako for a year, he's been my best friend ever since. We've learned things about each other and he's saved my life multiple times while I saved his. Like the time I learned he was a murder and he killed his twin brother, Tsukasa. He was suprised that I wasn't afraid of him after he told me that. I told him that he was my only friend and I don't think of him as a murder. He deserves to be forgiven and it's in the past now.

Hanako and I have one thing in common.

And my incident is the reason my family has been struggling.

My father travels a lot in the hopes of earning my family some extra money. My mother constantly works double shifts. My older sister moved to the United States to become a doctor and struggles with paying tution. My parents try their best to help support my sister. If I'm lucky, I'll come home to Mom cooking some eggs, enough for both of us. And she would talk about how she wants to support her family and that she's really sorry for not being able to be their for me. I always tell her 'It's okay. We are all just trying to support each other. As long as we stay together, we can make it.' And she would smile and say 'Just keep smiling for me, sweetie. Can you do that for me?' I would nod my head and smile.

But... would Mom and Dad have if easy if I decide that I shouldn't be here?

"(L/N)... can I ask you something?"

I glance at the black-haired boy. I study his eyes determining whether or not I should say yes. I sigh and nod my head.

"What is your wish? When you summoned me for the first time, you never asked for a wish to be granted. You never even said you had one."

I remember the day I first met him. I didn't have a wish back then, I only wanted to meet Hanako and become friends with him. I was lonely and slightly depressed.

I ponder on his question for a few moments, determining what to say. I squeeze my eyes shut and grip the hem of my skirt as I speak a few words; "I didn't have one when I summoned you. But," I hesitate, "I think I have one now."

His eyes lit up, "You do?! Tell me so that I can grant you the wish!"

I dryly chuckle and let my hair separate me from Hanako. "It's not going to be... simple."

"Oh, come on. Try me," he nudges me with his shoulder.

"I don't think you can grant it, I can just do it myself."