Chapter 10 - Old Memory

// I am going to take the weekend off meaning that I won't update until Monday. Tomorrow will be a very emotional day for me because it will be my mum's 50th birthday. This chapter will be about Hope's past with her mother, so be warned. You may need a tissue.

Hope's POV, (a very long time ago...)

I was sleeping peacefully, trying to forget about everything that has recently happened. Me being 13 years old, this was hard for me and my mother. We were living in a dirty old caravan, with no warmth at all, I had quite a few blankets covering me up like a new-born baby. The caravan was also quite small for the two of us. I never knew my father. 

As I was sleeping, I began to smell something mouth-watering which tickled my nose. It strongly smelt of pancakes, which made me open my eyes to watch my mother cook. The kitchen only had two cabinets, there was no room for a oven. We had to cook outside in our back garden. 

"Bastards..." my mother muttered to herself as she picked up the brown bowl and began to take it outside. I pushed down the blankets and grabbed my ripped grey buttoned t-shirt. It wasn't that cold, so I should be fine. I let out a small yawn to myself as I went over to the cabinets and grabbed the cooking pan which was basically a medium sized metal plate, with a wooden stick at the end of it. "Thank you, angel. I was just about to fetch that." my mother thanked me. 

I turned around before I smiled brightly at her. I carried the pan over to her, placing it down on the pile of charcoal. "When are we going to get out of this dump, mum?" I asked her, sitting down on the dry muddy surface. 

"Once we get paid from that non-trustworthy man, we will get out of here as quickly as we can. I want you to have a normal life, my little angel." she replied, before we heard the morning bell ring, alarming everyone to start their daily routine. 

A couple of minutes later, the fire was up and going as the pancakes were cooking pretty nicely. There was some red bits in it, which made me wonder..."Is that a strawberry?" I asked my mother. "Yes, angel. I want you to be happy for the rest of the day. We do have a performance coming up later..." she replied, adding that one sentence on. I hated being a ribbon dancer. I really hated it. The ribbon always gets in my face! 

"Breakfast is over." a small voice spoke from behind us. We then turned around to look at a child, who had a eye patch on her left eye. "Who told you that?" my mother asked her gently. "Matthew."  she replied.

"But the bell has only just rang a few minutes ago. We are all given half an hour." I told the child, whose name I forgot. 

"Well, that half an hour is gone now. What are you making, by the way?" she asked us. 

"Strawberry pancakes. Do you want some? It is almost ready." my mother offered before we started to see Matthew walking towards our caravan...

And he wasn't happy.