Chapter XXXVI

3rd person's perspective

"We did some addition and Subtraction, and now we have formalin." Senku said, holding the solution in the flask. 

"That's the one they used to preserve Einstein's brain." (Y/n) said, pointing at the fluid while covering her nose. "It stinks though."

"That's right." Senku agreed, looking at Chrome in a sinister manner. "It's the stuff you use too preserve corpses."

"The smell!" Chrome complained while pinching his nose. "Here we go again with the sketchy chemicals having to do with corpses and stuff!"

When they were done, the three scientists went outside for some fresh air. 

"Good." Senku groaned a bit while stretching his arm out. "Now we just need a ton of coal ash." He explained as he looked at the two behind him. "Coal ash plus Sodium hydroxide plus formalin makes humanity's first synthetic plastic, bakelite."

"R-right." Chrome responded. "So we just need to burn a crazy amount of coal, right?"

Then, (Y/n) shivered. "Why does it have to be so cold in the middle of winter!" She complained, hugging herself. "Well, it's winter, of course it's cold. But this is too much!"

Senku and Chrome looked at her. even though she was wearing a thick layer of wool on her - the sleeves were even made longer, she was still shivering in the cold.

Then, they looked at the children and the elderly people making the wire. they were shivering in the cold as well.

"My hands are numb from the cold." Suika muttered, twisting the golden wires despite her shaking hands. "We aren't getting much work done." 

"What a harsh winter this is." An elderly man sighed.

"I hope no one dies from the cold this year." An elderly woman hoped.

Then, the three of them looked at each other and had an idea.

===========================

"Coal?" Kinro clarified.

"Yeah." Senku replied. "We need a stupid amount of it. This is just the job for you guys."

Senku, Chrome, (Y/n), Kohaku, and Magma were in front of the two guards who were guarding the village bridge.

Ginro was slowly slouching down, until his brother noticed this.

"Hey, Ginro."

He straightened up.

"Where to?" Kinro asked.

"Oh, you know . . ." Ginro was making up an excuse, looking away while scratching the back of his neck. "I have to train, too." He said. "And I already work as a guard protecting the village, so I think I'll pass."

"Ginro-San!" (Y/n) exclaimed, joining her palms together and bowed her head, begging for the younger brother. "Please, we really need you this time."

"What are you talking about?" Kinro said sternly. "The village elder Senku's word is law."

Then, all of them looked at Kinro. And then, Ginro got dragged by the other four carrying baskets on their backs.

"This is totally going to be one of those hard jobs!" The small blonde male complained.

"Ruru wa ruru da. (Rules are rules)."

"Wow, you being village chief really does work out for all of us." (Y/n) chuckled, carrying another bowl of grapes, munching on them, like usual.