Chapter 8 Jealousy

Start from the beginning

"You don't know that! That's how they get you!" Claire's voice was steadily rising.

"Well I can say that's not true, he's not like that at all, he's funny and sweet and nice to be around." You looked away from the phone pressing a hand against your chest to stop your heavily beating heart.

"So he's the one." Claire sounded bitter suddenly and you looked at the phone surprised.

"I know you still like him I'd never-" you argued gripping the cushions of the couch to try and anchor your self.

"I can't believe you! Two months and this is what happens! I told you he was bad news! But do you listen to me? No! Instead you ignore me and go off and follow him!" Claire was steadily beginning to shout and you clenched you're eyes shut wincing.

"Claire." You spoke steadily trying to reach her in this state.

"I can't believe this! I just can't! My best friend! Going off after I tell you not to!" Claire was still talking.

"Claire." You rose your voice a bit breathing deeply in an attempt not to get upset.

"I told you no! I told you stay away I told you-"

"CLAIRE!" You shouted suddenly your voice booming with a hidden irritation really shining through. You inhaled sharply yourself now swallowing thickly at what just happened.

"I've told you that I know how you feel still and I'm not going to do anything. Maybe I'm admiring him, but I'm not going to get in the way." You sighed out much calmer.

"Oh you say that but I can't trust you." Claire scoffed and you stared at the phone in disbelief. Did she really just say that? Your eyes slowly narrowed a glare beginning to form on your face as you stared at the phone.

"And why not." You were trying to be calm, your food, was getting cold.

"Because I told you not to get close to begin with and now here you are all buddy buddy." Claire defended her reasoning and you scoffed yourself.

"Do you even know me?!" You shot back quickly.

"Of course I do." Claire defended herself again.

"Clearly you don't because you'd know I'd never do that." You growled a bit, was she always this bad of a friend?

"Oh please (Y/N), it starts out innocent enough but by the end you'll kiss him or worse. Don't play coy with me." Claire clicked her tongue.

"I wouldn't even dare!" You gasped out, your anger is rising.

"You know what? I don't need this, I've got work to do. And so do you. If you really feel that strongly about me betraying you then maybe we shouldn't even be friends because a real friend would have faith in me not doubt me." You growled again.

"(Y/N)-" Claire's voice got softer the jealousy and bitterness that had made its home in her tone leaving.

"Goodbye and goodnight." You hung up the phone quickly staring at your phone in your hand only to toss it to the other side of the couch resting your head in your hands.

Did you really just do that? End a friendship you've had since getting here? You felt your shoulders slump at the realization, your eyes looking down at your now cold food.

I'm not hungry.

You pushed it away from you on the coffee table and looked toward the tv listening to the show you left on playing. But you weren't really retaining what was being said as you sat there in silence.