(8) Ferris Wheel

Ember and I end up on the same team and we jump off the train first. I am determined to land on my feet and do it successfully. I smile to myself. It makes me feel Dauntless. It's the little steps that make me proud so I can make bigger steps each time. With each step, I am more Dauntless.

Once our team is off the train, we debate about where to go. We end up going back to the carousel which is where they won before. It's dark and hard to see once we pass the city. No one uses a flashlight. Part of the reason is to not give our location away and part of it is to make things more difficult (it's a Dauntless thing). We pass the Ferris Wheel on the way to the carousel and it seems like all our eyes are drawn to it. When we get to the carousel, Sebastian pulls the flag out of his pocket.

"Come up with a plan. We may not be Erudite, but planning and strategizing is a part of Dauntless. Some may argue that it is the most important." Sebastian tells us.

Different people begin to say what they think we should do and they debate between themselves. Sebastian causally leans against one of the horses looks up to the sky. There are no stars, only a low, pale moon. I've always liked stars, but it's rare to see them here.

I quickly turn away from him. I need to focus. If I could jump in with the arguing, what would I say? The other team could be anywhere within a two mile radius. We need to know where they are before we send out people.

My eyes lock on the Ferris Wheel and I grin. I find Ember and tap her on the shoulder.

"What?" She questions.

"Come on. I have an idea."

She nods and follows me to the Ferris Wheel. "It is a lot taller than I thought." Ember comments and I nod.

I feel butterflies in my stomach as I put my hand on the metal. "Ready?"

"Ready."

I put all my weight on the lowest rung on the ladder just to be sure it won't crumble and assurance that we won't fall to our deaths. It's sturdier than I thought. I take a deep breath and begin the long journey upwards. I cling to each rung with such a tight grip that I think I will cut my palms. I never have liked being on ladders. Nevertheless, I keep climbing and the wind gets stronger. Ember seems to be having no problems whatsoever. Once we reach the platform at the top, I'm grateful. I sit on the edge of the platform. However, Ember does the same, but lets her legs hang over. We glance out for any sign of the other team, but we aren't high enough.

"Higher?" Ember questions and I nod. "I can climb if you want to wait."

"What are you girls doing?" We glance to the side and see Sebastian climbing up to the platform.

"This is the only way to see where the other team is." I explain to him.

"But we need to go higher," Ember states.

"I'll go since I will know exactly where we need to go." Sebastian says and begins to climb up.

Ember and I watch him from the platform as he climbs. He stops soon and points. "They are at the park at the end of the pier." He explains and climbs back down. All three of us high five each other and climb the rest of the way down. We head back over to the carousel. Some of our team has already split up.

"Where did you guys go?" One of the initiates questions.

"Rory had the brilliant idea to climb the Ferris Wheel to look for the other team. They are at the end of the pier." Sebastian answers.

"So, what's the plan?" Another initiate asks.

Everyone turns to look at me. My face heats up. "Well, most of us could charge while a few others sneak around to capture their flag."

"Sounds good," someone speaks up and the rest nod their heads. "Let's go."

We take off running toward the pier, but slow down once we are close. I hold my gun up ready to shoot. Soon paintballs are flying all around us as the other team comes to meet our charge. Their flag is unprotected and Ember goes after the flag that is hanging in a tree branch. I don't try to go after it; instead, I cover her to make sure no one hits her. She pulls it down and gives a shout of victory. Our team gathers around her shouting and hollering. I can't reach her so I stand back and grin.

"Well done," a voice says in my ear. I glance behind me even though I already know it is Sebastian.

"We wouldn't have won without you," I smile.

Sebastian smiles, "I think you could have."

"I didn't want to do it without you."

On the train, Ember and I try to pop paintballs on each other. Most of the ones I pop burst on me instead of her. I catch Sebastian smiling and laughing when I do. Our team is still celebrating and laughing with one another even with the horrible smell of paintballs floating around the train. Today is a good day to be Dauntless.