Ch 13: Full Moon Rising

Sirius forgot about his journal for the next three weeks. A full moon and the year's first quidditch match had passed and October was greeted with reluctance because of the cold and the wilting summer season. Even James' birthday had been dismissed, which Remus thought was odd, considering it was such a momentous Marauder occasion. Remus remembered it particularly well, because it had been the first time he tried vehement vodka. Peter had passed out and they spent the night trying to hide him properly.

The next entry was not until October 12th and it was a dull entry at that, having do with Sirius' loathing of Flich and how it was his sixth detention already. Remus was on the verge to throw the diary and never look at it again, because of a comment made about McGavott, but a word on the following page caught his eye, so that he was urged to read on. He flipped to the date October 30th, where he had seen the phrase full moon.

October 30th:

Full moon approaches. Remus frowned, that was all? But then that old sensation returned. The past became present. A new memory set forth...

"And so I thought to myself, what a bloody brilliant idea!" came Sirius' voice with a hint of arrogance.

The low tinkle of china and cutlery mixed with an occasional hollow thud of tankard against table rose, and the sights and sounds of The Three Broomsticks materialized before Remus. An elderly wizard conversing with a goblin laughed heartily at a table in the back, and a band of middle-aged witches were busy exchanging gossip in a low, secretive murmur. At the bar sat Moony, Padfoot and Prongs sipping what they claimed was butterbeer. They had the attention of an attractive young witch, donning glittering blue heels and deep red lip colour. She was listening to Sirius with a cross between a smirk and a smile, eyeing him a tad fondly (no doubt he was a catching young man).

"Do tell!" she urged with false seduction.

Sirius' charming half smile crept slyly to the side (Remus noticed the witch's cheeks glow a shade pinker). "After all, we could go for another few years at Hogwarts- not that we fancy schooling, but imagine the possibilities, we could find out loads. Um, not that we already haven't, but the possibilities are endless, extraordinary!"

"With a time turner," James put in, muffled as he took one giant swig from his whisk- sorry, butterbeer.

"Oh I don't know," said Moony with a warning tone. "What else did you say was extraordinary? Oh yes, eau de cologne."

Sirius narrowed his eyes. "That wasn't my idea, we owe that one to Prongs."

"Hey! I had good intentions!" cried James, dribbling liquid down his front.

"What's this now?" the witch chuckled.

"Just one more thing I'll be judged for at heaven's gate," sighed James.

He looked away for a moment, contemplating briefly about his eternal resting place. He feared they might turn him away at the gates of heaven and send him directly to hell. In his mind Filch was the heavenly judge who condemned him to eternal damnation for too many detentions.

"No but honestly," continued Sirius, "It's brilliant don't you think Rosmerta dear?"

The witch raised one darkly stenciled eyebrow, biting her lower lip. "What's brilliant Master Black, is how you all made it down here so late at night. Why I could've sworn curfew was always nine o'clock. In my day"

"Ah yes, but your day was four years ago and things have changed sweetheart."

"Oh don't fool me with that, I know perfectly well it's past your bedtime! Too late for Pettigrew was it? No, he really doesn't seem like the drinking sort," Rosmerta mused airily.