Ch 21: Pleasant Unintentional Plans

February 4, 1976 (later on that evening):

Sirius Black was in the best place in the world, conceivably the most amazing place for a sixth year Gryffindor boy to find himself—the girl's dormitory. Hours before, a pack of highly useful but ethically unjustifiable playing cards given to him by his silvered uncle had landed him here… a place where estrogen raged and secrets oozed from the walls, tantalizing female secrets a Marauder would willingly tuck away in the crevices of his mind.

Cloaked in invisibility, Sirius had placed himself in a distant corner of the dormitory, running a little red playing card between his fingers, handling the edges and soaking up the scene.

It was a scene that brought a grin to his handsome face. The girls were hoping from bed to bed, singing to some muggle records brought by Elise.

"His name's Jim Morrison," Elise was commenting about the record with playful laughter, "and don't you mock him, because he's got unnatural talent."

They were bouncing around in socks, half-dressed in nightshirts and cotton pajamas. Sirius was greatly shocked that he was not looking at a threesome in silk teddies—he had always assumed teenage girls just wore those things, not even taking comfort into consideration. If truth be told, it was a little disappointing; however the goofy spectacle they were making surely was not. Sirius was enjoying the best entertainment he'd had for months, excluding that time he'd spent with Jennings in the quidditch dressing room after practice.

They were talking about boys now; Alex was doing most of the talking, Elise doing most of the combat and disagreement.

"That beautiful blonde beau—the muggle, sizzling hot muggle my brother knows from…" and the rest was so fast and undistinguishable, Sirius subconsciously tuned her out, taking this time to observe Elise closely. This had been the first time since the night before the winter holiday that he had had a chance to just stare at her, enjoy her features, the way she smiled, the way her elfish little nose wrinkled when Alex would mention something unsavory.

"Alex, you swoon when Remus walks in a room, its not like he's an Adonis!" Elise added, rolling her eyes dramatically.

"Well maybe he isn't but Sirius is," giggled Alex, swinging her scarf about, dreamy and aimless. When Mackenzie concurred Elise could not help but protest.

"You're crazy, you're both crazy!"

"Did you skip puberty, Elle? I mean, you must fancy someone—don't your hormones rage at all?" Alex asked curiously, smiling broadly, calculating Elise's taciturn answer.

Elise giggled, throwing a pillow at Alex. "They rage… quietly, unlike yours." She began mimicking Alexandra in a high-pitched, punch-drunk tone. "Oh-my-gosh, Remus looked at me today, we met eyes and-and I think I'm in love! Lucius called me a twit today, do you think he likes me? Can you believe it—I bumped into Sirius after practice and he was sweaty—oh god, it was sohot! Oh and did I tell you he made four passes to me today… it's so brilliant when he does that!" Elise ceased her mockery to smirk at Alex, "You really go on about Sirius Black." She taunted shamelessly, not bothering to suppress a bright grin.

Alex could do nothing but laugh back, "Oh you know his perspiration is perfectly swoonable."

"Maybe to you, I'd say go take a shower—I'm not a fan of the unkempt look," Elise smirked.

"Grunge," Alex corrected her.

These were good pointers for Sirius; he would know not to lunge at Elise after a rigorous quidditch practice. On the other hand he was a little disappointed that she did not care for him in all forms of the weather. He hoped it was her delicate modesty causing her to paint so ill a picture of him.