Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

Tomorrow was the deadline that was given to me by the blackmailer at hanggang ngayon, hindi ko pa rin alam ang gagawin ko. I hated feeling helpless. It was funny how I was still not used to it when I'd been helpless all my life. All thanks to my controlling father.

I hated it so much. I hated how someone had a card against me. I hated that I was being manipulated again and I couldn't do anything about it because of everything was at stake. It would affect everyone that I cared about.

I couldn't go to the police because then they would have to investigate about my affair with Hadeon. I couldn't hire a private investigator because I don't have connections to that world.

Ang tanging meron lang ako ay hula kung sino 'yon. From what I heard, a lot coveted the role but one person stuck in my mind for some reason. Si Asia.

It was absurd to suspect that it was Asia because she was my friend. Kung tama ang pagkakakilala at pagkakabasa ko sa kanya, hindi niya kayang gawin 'yon. She was too sweet to be dubbed as an evil mastermind of all of these.

The photo was taken the night I went to the club because I found out it was Hadeon's birthday. I went there with my friends and I didn't remember seeing anyone I knew aside from them.

Could it be that the person blackmailing me was one of my friends? They were there, they knew my number, and they knew about the Dream Girl role.

No. It couldn't possibly be one of them. After all, they were my friends. We were solid.

What if it was someone else around me? Maybe not my friends but someone from our circle. Maybe an acquaintance. Who could it be though? And what could be the real reason why they wanted me out of the movie?

Maybe the person wanted to replace me from the role. That could be the strongest motive. Having me out of the picture wouldn't be a guaranteed win but at least they'd have a chance for the role. Did that mean whoever would get the role could be the culprit? Hindi ba masyadong obvious 'yon kung ganoon nga?

Or maybe the blackmailer was just doing it for fun. Maybe they just wanted to make me suffer. Baka gusto lang niya talaga akong mawalan ng project. Did that mean that this wouldn't be the last time that this secret would be used against me? Maybe. Maybe the only time that they'd stop would be once I was out of projects and completely gone from the industry.

But who? Who would go to the extent of extorting me out of a movie role?

"Kaia," I heard someone whisper, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I blinked hard and my brain slowly processed where I was. Wala na ako sa dressing room at hindi na ako nakatitig sa phone ko.

I was standing in the middle of the set which meant we were in the middle of the taping. Kasama ko si Rowan sa eksena at mukhang siya ang tumawag sa pangalan ko. I must have spaced out.

"Cut!" sigaw ni Direk. "Kaia, ano na?"

I flashed an apologetic look. "Sorry, Direk."

"I'm not happy with your performance for the past days, Kaia. Work fatigue ba 'yan? Gusto mo bang mag-one week vacation?" tanong ni Direk. I could hear the disappointment from her tone.

"Hindi po. I'm fine. I'll do better," sagot ko. I wasn't gonna apologize again. I already apologized the first time.

Dismayadong umiling si Direk. "Ten minutes break muna tayo." Tumayo siya mula sa pwesto niya at naglakad palabas ng set. She was probably going out for a smoke because I stressed her out.

The crew scattered like nothing happened and I wasn't scolded in front of everyone to see. I massaged my temples to soothe an ailment that wasn't there.