A small bit of doubt nagged at him. Would she come down? She was still in mourning and could very easily decline any visitors. She would not do that to him though, he had to believe. She was a kindred spirit to him. But he reminded her of the night she lost her father. She may not be ready to see him, and he had to respect that.  He would add a note to the gift. If she did not receive him she would at least get the fairy queen's necklace.

~

The hours dragged on, Daniel had written a small missive and attached it to the box. After he had his breakfast he called for his carriage to take him to the Keller's home. On the ride over he adjusted the wrapping on the gift several times, making sure the bow was in proper place. He adjusted his shirtsleeves and made sure his cravat was was not too tight or too loose.

As the carriage stopped in front of the townhome, Daniel had to stop himself from jumping out. He smoothed his jacket out and approached the door.

"I am afraid Dr. and Mrs. Keller are out for the day, my lord." The footman tells him. Daniel was growing impatient.

"Is Miss. Somers still residing here? She is an old friend from the country and I would be remiss if I did not visit her while I was in town."

"Ah yes, the young lady. She is a quiet sort, doesn't see many visitors but I will pass along your card if you would just give me a moment."

~

Emmeline's heart skipped a beat as she saw the carriage approach. A flood of emotion washed over her. Why was he here? He had to know the Kellers would be working. She quickly plaited her hair and straightened her dress. Why did she choose to wear the most plain calico dress today of all days? There was no time to change. She went to her armoire and found a silk shawl she hoped would disguise the age of the garment.

"Lord Hargrave is here to see you Miss." the maid said.

"I will receive him in the parlor. Please make sure he is comfortable. Dr. Keller would not want his friend to be ill-at-ease. Thank you."

"Of course Miss." The maid curtsies and Emmeline looks in the mirror again.

~

His back is turned to her as she enters. She takes in his broad shoulders and noble stature. No one would ever doubt that he held a title. At a glance he looks intimidating, but Emmeline knew that behind that rigid structure was a man just trying to do right by his daughter.

"Miss. Somers, I am sorry I did not hear you enter. You are looking well." Daniel's voice was shaking. She looked thinner than before, and there were dark circles around her eyes, but she was still beautiful.

"Thank you, my lord. Please sit." She gestures to the sette near him as she takes a seat in a nearby chair.

They sit in silence, both just looking at one another.

"The Kellers will-"

"Matilda is-" They say in tandem.

"The Kellers are out for the day. It seems half of London has gotten a chill."

"And how are you? Are you well Miss. Somers?"

"I am quite well sir. How is Matilda? I am sure she is eager for Christmas."

"Yes, quite. She and Charles have been doing holiday activities for the past few weeks."

"I am glad he is able to spend time with his niece during this time. Having family close is always such a blessing." Emmeline looks down at her hands, a sad smile creeps across her face.

"It is." Daniel rises from his chair to walk closer to her, "It is also nice to be with friends around this time, which is why I thought to call upon you. We are dear friends, are we not, Miss. Somers?"

"We are, sir."

Daniel sits in the chair next to her and takes one of her hands.

"Then I wish you would be honest with me, as you so daringly were when we first met. There are many in Abbotshire that miss you and wish you to come home."

"I am not sure if I can yet, my lord. I am to stay with the Kellers until Twelfth Night and then I will determine my next course of action."

"Well when you are ready, know that there are people there who truly miss you and care for you. You will always be welcome at Wilbourn house." Daniel removes the Christmas gift from his pocket. "Matilda wanted to give you this, for the holiday. She said it belonged to the fairy queen."

Emmeline takes the parcel and slowly unwraps it. She looks at the necklace in awe. It was so understated but beautiful nonetheless.

"It's beautiful, you both are far too kind to me. Please tell Matilda 'thank you' for me."

"Of course."

Emmeline studies the necklace letting the pearls move between her fingers, unsure of what to say next.

"You know you are always welcome at Mooreland Park, Miss. Emmeline. If you would like to come home that is."

Home. What a confusing word for her. Emmeline had felt adrift for the past few weeks, but seeing him felt as close to it as she had ever felt before. And it scared her.

"I do not know if I will ever be able to truly return there, sir." She wipes a tear away from her eye, "I am afraid there there are too many there for me at the moment."

Daniel takes Emmeline's hands in his own, running his thumb across her knuckles.

"Miss. Emmeline, you must know how important you are to the county. Everyone misses you."

Emmeline removes her hands from his and wipes a tear from her eye. She stands and begins to walk towards the door.

"I am afraid I must take my leave, my lord. I no longer believe I am in the best of spirits and cannot provide you with what you desire. Please share my sincerest gratitude with Matilda. The necklace is lovely." She turns away from him and leaves the room.

~
Hi everyone!
Sorry for the late update (I'll be happy when I don't have to say that 😂).

Since the last update I have moved and started a new job so I haven't had time as much time to write.

Things are only going to get crazier as the school year starts (I'm a teacher) but I will try to get another update out soon.
Thanks for all the love and kind comments. I do read all of them.

Sincerely,
Mary