Chapter 23

"A colleague of mine entrusted me with the affairs of his estate when he passes. It is my understanding that he does not have a lot of money but he does have a specific wish that he would like me to execute."

~

After a productive morning at the bank, Daniel returned to his townhome to finish the ledgers he had left from the night before. He set about his task in his usual way, his mind focused in a singular task. This trait had served as a benefit to him. It was what allowed him to be successful in his business ventures as well as in keeping his estate. Daniel owed money to no man, unlike the man who's affairs he had sorted at the bank.

This singularity of thought is what often drove him to madness, forgetting to eat or drink when at a task. On this particular night it was only the interruption of his brother that alerted him to the hour.

"A spy told me you spent quite a bit of time at the bank today." Charles laughed, as he entered the study, "this was not on the itinerary you left out for me this morning. In fact, there was no mention of needing to go to the bank during your time here whatsoever. I know you too well to think this was merely an accident. You did not wish for me to know. Tell me, dear brother, did you finally put this family in financial ruin with all of your scheming and gambling?"

"I believe that is your job. And no, the family is not in financial peril. I promised a man who doesn't get into town often that I would make some arrangements for him. You do not know him and I do not want to worry you with the details. Your wealth will not be impacted by my actions today."

"So mysterious brother, maybe I should find more spies. I cannot have a scandal marking my good name, especially now that I know about the lass you left in the country." Charles teased.

"The only lass I left in the country was your niece Matilda, and she cannot cause you a scandal. If you are referring to her caretaker,as I said last night, the woman looking after Matilda is not to be spoken about." Daniel's mind once again drifted to the small little cottage, but he willed his thoughts elsewhere. Having a singleness of mind did mean that his thoughts could stay focused on something, more particularly someone, that did not need to occupy his time as it already had taken up too much of it.

"If you will not disclose anything about her, I guess I will just have to meet this miraculous woman myself. When do you return to Abbotshire? I am not due back to my post for quite some time and I would love to meet the woman who has encapsulated the heart of my loved one."

"I plan on returning in four days time, if that gives you enough time to make a woman fall in love with you and then leave. Although I'm not sure your advances would be welcome. I am sure Matilda would love to see you."

"Four days is plenty. I can make a woman fall in love in an hour."

"And that's what concerns me. The women in Abbotshire are simple country folk. You so much as step foot in the county and you'll have five mothers arranging your wedding to their daughter."

"Is that what happened to you? The little medicine woman's father made you two a pair?"

"No, it was some country nobility, a Lady Wilbourn and her gregarious daughter. A ball was held in my honor before I had even finished unpacking my wardrobe."

"A ball in your honor? How quaint. I'm sure it was a lovely time."

"I wouldn't know. It was the same night Matilda had taken ill.  The only thing I saw was the dress of the apothecary when she arrived, but even that was covered by an apron as she worked."

"That was a fast ball then. You were hardly there a week."

"I told you dear brother, you must keep your guard up when you come or you'll be engaged within the week."

"Are the women there truly that desperate?"

"Their mothers have talons."

"Then I must go. Maybe I'll find someone who can tame me."

"I'm not sure if any woman is up to that challenge." Daniel said with a laugh, pouring two glasses of brandy.

~

"Miss. Emmy, can you tell me a story about the fairies tonight?" Matilda asked as Emmeline plaited her hair.

"Of course, in fact, I came across one this morning while you were still asleep. Her name was Dulcina and she was a flower fairy. I found her in the garden sprinkling fairy dust on the roses. She told me how she encountered a most peculiar fairy while traveling through the woods. She was confused as most of the male fairies spent their days in the mines, finding jewels and sweets for the Fairy King. His clothing was more regal than any fairy she had ever encountered. His eyes shone like stars on a clear night, she told me. He was lost and trying to find his way back home. Dulcina told him the way. Before he flew away, he gave her a small ruby, far finer than anything she ever owned or had seen. Then he was gone."

"Was he the prince?"

"I'm not sure. I'll have to speak to her tomorrow to see. Maybe we could tempt him to come back by making fairy houses."

"May we?" Matilda asked excitedly.

"Of course, but first you must sleep." Emmeline said, pulling the blanket up around Matilda. She blew out the candle and left the room.

She went down to her sanctuary and began to work on her medicines again. Tomorrow the shop would be open and Emmeline knew she wouldn't have time to prepare them with Matilda running about. Shop days were always fun, but also a crushing reminder of the society she left behind.

Before she went to bed, she went to her father's chamber and gingerly changed the dressings on his sores, being careful not to wake him. When she was satisfied with her work, she went to sleep.

~
Hello all!
I promise the next update will not take nearly as long. I'm starting the next chapter as soon as I'm done typing this. Emmeline and Daniel will be in the same room again soon, with Charles in tow to stir things up.

Thanks for reading!