Round 9: The Finale

An old mafian woman sat in a bunker beneath an Einherjar precinct, a group of children huddled around her. They were a diverse group of reef and mafian elves, dwarves, goblins, and humans. All listened intently to her words, hoping to drown out the sounds of war trickling down from the surface. The old woman was long past her riding age, but she still bore the tribal tattoos that marked her as a lore bearer. Among her people, it was her job to share the histories from one generation to the next.

"In the beginning, The Creator formed the dust of life into a realm of perfect beauty. He called this world the Garden of El'dar. Among the many ancient races who dwelled in the garden were the mighty El'dar, second only to The Creator himself. These beings used the dust of life to create things of their own and life spread across the cosmos."

An explosion far above shook the bunker, causing dust to shower the old elf and her audience.

"No mortal knows the details of the El'dar War, but we do know a devastating conflict tore through all of creation and, at the center of the conflict, the Garden of El'dar burned. Disappointed, The Creator destroyed his garden and cut off his children from the dust of life. Some lost their power immediately, some maintained their gifts for some time. From the latter were born the angels and demons."

The lore bearer spread her hands wide gesturing towards the ceiling above.

"Particles of dust wafted through space, lighting on fertile ground and birthing the avatars. These great beings would one day be called gods, their powers tied to their land. Yes, I see recognition upon your faces. Lady Shadow is the child of such a being and Shadow City is her land. As long as she lives, the city will stand strong."

"What of the El'dar, ma'am?" asked a lame teenager, seated in the corner on a pile of rags. "Why is that monster here?"

"The El'dar and their brethren, the Fallen El'dar, desperately seek the dust of life. They scour planet after planet, claiming what dust they find for themselves and leaving dying worlds in their wake. The creature has come to destroy our city," she grinned and her old eyes sparkling with excitement, "but worry not! Lady Shadow will protect us, for we are her chosen people!"

The children cheered and clapped while armies warred far above them.

--

Mer gripped her staff with waning strength, as the enchanted wood ripped away her lifeforce and funneled that energy into Lady Shadow's dwindling form. Mer gasped and released her hold, fearful she'd lose the last dredges of life. Her body shook, blurry eyes struggling to stay open. She looked down at her handiwork. Lady Shadow, once rubenesque and stalwart, lay upon sweat-soaked bedding, cadaverous and gaunt. With Blackblade gone, Mer was the only thing keeping the lady alive.

Gods of the realms, please give me strength and wisdom. I am but a humble servant who humbly needs your guidance.

An explosion illuminated the night sky. While she fought a battle against death and decay, the city fought ancient horrors. Mer tore her eyes from the open balcony window. Cyber.Red, the city's foremost robotics expert and leader of the vanguard, tried to kill Lady Shadow. What did that mean? What would any of it mean if Lady didn't survive...

Mer remembered her time living in the Westerlands, where the walking death infection had run rampant. Life out there had been harsh. Shadow City provided a much needed refuge.

Whines, whistles, and beeps floated in from the hall. Machine speak.

Mer grabbed a pistol off the nightstand, one of Lady Shadow's sidearms, as the door flew open. Two chromehog drone soldiers. Mer pulled the trigger and the end of the pistol spit destruction, the kickback nearly tossing her onto the bed. As the first machine fell to pieces, Mer took the weapon in both hands and fired again. The second machine tried to dodge aside but moved too slow.