Round 7: Action with a Cliffhanger

Free and what was left of her Wonder Women circled the block again.

"I count two hundred orcs," James reported. The automaton's tone grew increasingly harsh with each sweep.

"Their numbers aren't getting any smaller," Black Jack said. "We have to find another way into the Citadel."

"That could take hours," Free snapped, skidding to a halt. Her motorcycle, Cleopatra, shrieked as lightning played along her wheels.

The others brought their bikes up short, arraying themselves in a line beside her.

"We're wasting our time." Monalisa punctuated her words with a belch. "Let's stop dancing around and go punch something."

"I hate to agree with her, Free, I mean I really hate to agree-" James began.

"Screw you, bucket of bolts." The elf grumbled.

James and Monalisa were always at each other's throats, never agreeing on anything.

"I'm having trouble quantifying my levels of discomfort, but I agree with Lisa. We have spent precious time reconnoitering the same position. The time has come to make a move."

Free turned to Jack, her ally when it came to arguments within their little circle. He wouldn't maintain eye contact.

"Fine!" Free snapped. "I guess we need to find another way in."

"See, wasn't that hard," Lisa chuckled as she cracked open a brew and took a deep drink. "We're with you, just point us in the right direction."

"Incoming transmission..." James tilted his head skyward. "Trapped. Public transport, surrounded by infected. Civilians in danger."

"Sounds like the corpses are busy," Lisa chuckled. "We'd better get going if we want to find a way in time to make a difference."

Free knew Monalisa was right, but the idea of ignoring a distress call rubbed her the wrong way. Free had always been opposed to authority, but she took the power given her by Lady Shadow very seriously. Free was a city leader, a Shadow Lord. She had no right to sit back and ignore a cry for help.

"James, what channel are they broadcasting on?" Black Jack reached into his Stetson and removed a waterskin.

"Mermidon command channel."

Free, Lisa, and Jack all stared at the robot.

"There is a ninety percent chance the broadcaster is Commander Reade."

"Let's roll," Free ordered, revving Cleopatra and streaking off with no regard for whether the others followed.

--

Hunter fired over the barricade, his bullets finding their mark in dead flesh. The steady bark of machine gun fire filled the air above him. From the roof of the public bus, a mermidon commando/medic and two einherjar peacekeepers swept their weapons across the open street, cutting down droves of infected. Scores of walking dead collapsed, but an equal number swiftly filled the gap. From the inside looking out, it seemed like their precarious position was an oasis in a desert of corpses.

Mer pressed her staff to the wounded woman's side, cool and rejuvenating air rushing to the point of contact. Her intestines slithered back into her body, gaining color with each inch it traveled. The edges of the hole in her gut reknit and sealed with only the slightest scar left behind. The einherjar lancer sat up with a gasping breath, death had claimed her for a few minutes.

"Careful, life has returned, but your body will need a few moments to recover," Mer said as she squeezed the woman's hand.

The lancer looked around pausing as she observed the scene in the street. Corpses lumbered from every direction. Most were shambling, bleeding forms, but some walked with purpose, firing weapons and directing their mindless peers.