VII: Buried Memories

Start from the beginning

Miyuki sat down and stared to the flower. Mustering all her brain cells to decide what she'll do with it. 

Her crow arrived afterwards with the news that it was the only one there.

At the top-most mountain of Nanakusa Island, when the sun is at its peak, there bloomed a Blue Spider Lily. From the expectations of it, blooming a lot in fields, it was single plant instead. 

"So it's the only one...we got two more left, what should we do with it?" Miyuki looked at her crow. 

"What happened to the other one...there were three flowers...three flowers." Shirayuki talked. 

"It died after I plucked it." The Ice Pillar rubbed the back of her head with a joyful smile. 

"IDIOOOT!!!"

Shirayuki snapped and pecked her head numerous times before flying away from her. 

Miyuki laughed at the behavior of her crow. Even if Shirayuki was collected, he was short-tempered when it comes with the rashness of his master. 

Miyuki on the other hand, was not being stupid. 

Whether if the flower would die or not, as long as it won't get into the demon's hands then it was fine with her. While regarding Oyakata-sama, it was just a bonus thought if she ever managed to bring one. 

If she can't, then she wouldn't.

"You're one troublesome, flower, you know? The people living here were in danger because of you. The lives of many...just because of a flower." 

Believe nothing, Miyuki...no matter who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Miyuki suddenly recalled the Stone Pillar's words to her when she was still a child.

It was one of the lesson she learned from Himejima Gyomei...the importance of one's own judgement. 

It was random. Yet, Miyuki why she remembered it at such moment.

Regarding the flower though, she was sure of one thing. Demons shouldn't find it.

"For some reason...you're making me nostalgic all of a sudden." Miyuki said under her breath and looked up to the sun. 

It was warm.

Just like back then.

When the Oyakata-sama first reached out his hand to her, it was warm. 

Her light...her life...it all started that day. 

But...what about before? 

Mi...yuki...I'm sorry...it's all mother's fault...I'm sorry...I just wanted you to live...

A woman's voice echoed in Miyuki's mind. 

"Huh?"

The Ice Pillar stopped as she felt her head ached all of sudden. Her breathing suddenly was becoming ragged, she couldn't breathe. 

Collapsing to the side, Miyuki shut her eyes as the sunlight shone brightly down her. She was lying on the ground, eyes shut, hands clenching on her chest as she tried gasp for air. 

Miyuki didn't know what was happening. 

Her skin was no longer cold, it was warm...hot...it was painful. 

Breathe...Miyuki. Calm your heart and breathe...

The pillar suddenly felt someone touched her.

Cold hands caressed her face, it was a woman's, with the same voice that echoed in her head. The one who called her name...apologized...and now, she's telling her to breathe.

I'm sorry...mama couldn't protect you...I'm sorry, Miyuki.

"W-Who...are you..." Miyuki said between her breaths.

She couldn't understand a single thing that the voice was saying. It didn't made any sense for her.

I'm sorry, Miyuki...I hope you can remember.

As she was catching her breath, Miyuki felt something in her mouth. It immediately turned into something liquid the moment it touched her lips, and then went down her throat...

It was sweet and smelled like flowers. 

It reminded Miyuki of how her blood tastes like. 

Her breathing returned to normal and the pain in her body was gone. In a second, Miyuki couldn't feel anything...nothing...before...everything went black.

"Yuki! Shoichirou! Come, Lunch is ready..." 

A woman with long silver hair, tied into a single braid, called. 

She was standing outside a house, waving towards the two people who's climbing up the hill. A man with shoulder-length black hair and a gentle smile was carrying a little girl on his shoulders. 

The little girl's hair were silver white, the only resemblance she held from the woman, as the child 's face was a bit more gentle. Unlike the woman's brown eyes, the child's eyes were golden, gentle like the man's, and they shone brightly under the sun. 

Despite the difference, Miyuki could tell she was their daughter.

"We're back, mother! Shoichiro brought lots of Bamboo shoots from the grove! Dinner!" The child spoke as she was carried into her mother's arms. 

Miyuki watched them from the side with silence, they didn't see her, nor are they aware of her presence. She just stood there, watching, as if she was in a dream.

No...this isn't a dream. 

Tears fell into the pillar's eyes as she watched the three people smiled brightly under the sun. They were happy. 

Miyuki kept her eyes to the woman and the man before her. 

The woman had sharp yet beautiful features, her demeanor reminded her of the Flame Pillar's mother. The man, on the other hand, had gentle features, without taking a second look, Miyuki almost thought he was Oyakata-sama; however, despite the resemblance, she could tell that the man wasn't weak nor frail, he was strong instead. 

The pillar's eyes then darted towards the little girl. 

Her hair was a bit different from the woman's, as it gave off a sheer hint of blue. Her eyes were gleaming with energy, filled with hope, partnered with a smile that seemed to brighten up the scene even more. 

Miyuki felt sad upon seeing her. 

I remember now...

This was my family.