➳ 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘦: 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘬𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘴𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘴

"Knowing too much of your future is never a good thing."

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief

»»---------------------►

EVENTUALLY, DESPITE SOKKA'S SKEPTICISM AND KIDA'S RELUCTANCE, Aang and Katara convince them to go into the village to see Aunt Wu and learn their fortunes.

After being greeted by Meng, Aunt Wu's assistant, Katara, Aang, Kida and Sokka stay in the waiting room. When Aunt Wu enters, Katara offers to go first.

"So, what do you think they're talking about back there?" Aang wonders once Katara is gone.

"Boring stuff," Sokka replies. He lounges down onto the mat. "Love. Who she's gonna marry, how many babies she's gonna have."

Aang's eyes widen and he starts awkwardly looking around. "Yeah, dumb stuff like that. Well, I gotta find a bathroom," Aang says before running off.

Which leaves Kida and Sokka, alone, sitting at opposite ends of the room.

"I take it you don't believe in this fortune telling stuff, either?" Sokka asks, breaking their silence.

"I don't know, honestly."

Okay, no sarcastic remark? Seriously, now Sokka knows that something is wrong.

"Is everything...are you okay?"

Kida doesn't reply for a few seconds, but turns her head and stares at Sokka. "Don't," she says harshly.

"Don't what?" Sokka asks.

"Just..." Kida pauses, and sighs, moving to stare at the mat in front of her. "Don't start caring about me."

Before Sokka can respond, Aang, Katara, and Aunt Wu return.

"You there," Aunt Wu announces, pointing at Kida. "Come with me."

Kida looks around, as though she's finding an excuse not to go, but when Aunt Wu insists. She gives in.

»»---------------------►

AUNT WU LEADS KIDA INTO A ROOM WITH A FIRE BURNING IN THE CENTER.. She leads Kida into a room with a fire burning in the center. She sits down on a cushion and gestures at Kida to do the same, then she gently grabs Kida's hand to examine her palm.

"You've had a rough life," Aunt Wu says. "You've had to fight your way through many battles to ensure your survival."

"Yeah, you can say that," Kida replies. She can't remember a time that her skin wasn't littered with scars, burn marks and calluses; Aunt Wu's statement was more of an informed observation than a fortune, but Kida lets her continue. Even if she would rather be anywhere but here.

"You can tell a lot from a person's hand," Aunt Wu explains. "This vertical crease in the center of the palm is the Fate line; otherwise known as your line of destiny. And here." Aunt Wu runs her finger across a vertical crease parallel to the Fate line. "Is the Sun line. Its close proximity to the Fate line means that your destiny is heavily influenced by external forces beyond your control."

I could have told you that, she scoffs internally.

Aunt Wu runs her finger across another crease, close to the thumb. "These breaks in your Life line...you've experienced much loss, and it has shaped you."