➳𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯: 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘨𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘵𝘴

ZUKO CONFRONTS KIDA AS SHE'S ABOUT TO SNEAK OFF WITH APPA.

"Did you really think I wouldn't know what you're up to?" Zuko scoffs. He stands in front of Kida, his arms crossed and a frown on his face. "You can't just leave, Kida."

"I can and I will," Kida replies plainly, not wanting to wake anyone else up. "Get out of my way."

He does not. Kida's patience is running out and she doesn't really feel like explaining herself, especially to Zuko.. Kida already left a note explaining that she went to get supplies to make a bow. She even asked Suki to cover for her. Kida figured it was a good time to leave: Sokka and Katara are reunited with their dad, and Aang has a firebending teacher to learn from. She had planned to find what she's looking for and be back before anyone missed her.

"Do you even know where you're going?"

"To get supplies."

Zuko scoffs. "We both know you're going to find him. I'm coming with you."

"Absolutely not," Kida asserts. "You're staying here to train Aang. The team doesn't need me right now."

"That's not true."

"Just get out of my way," Kida repeats. When he refuses to move once more, she pushes Zuko out of the way and finally climbs onto Appa.

"What if I told you I might know where your brother is?"

Kida pauses, looking down at Zuko. "I wouldn't believe you."

"What's your other option? Just flying around the Fire Nation on a giant bison?"

"Fuck you, Zuko," Kida grumbles.

"I'm serious, Kida," Zuko pleads, his tone surprising Kida. "I remembered something from when I was back in the Fire Nation. A conversation about an orphan Zhao brought back and hid away on one of the Fire Islands. I'll take you there."

Kida hates to admit it, but Zuko did have a point. She doesn't have any clue of where Hiro could be. She was just hoping that the universe would give her a break, help her out for a change. Practically, though, that doesn't mean anything.

"Fine," Kida sighs. She adjusts the knife on her belt instinctively. Zuko must have an ulterior motive, and Kida needs to be alert at all times. "But, try anything, and I'll throw you off Appa without a second thought."

»»---------------------►

SOMEWHERE ALONG THE JOURNEY, KIDA FALLS ASLEEP. It was comforting flying again, the soft clouds and open night sky creating the same kind of peace Kida gets when she's around Sokka. But the nightmares, the thoughts that didn't seem to leave, were anything but comforting.

As usual, Kida rises with the sun. Even after nights she couldn't fall asleep, plagued by nightmares or pushing herself to train, whenever the sun rose to the sky, Kida felt its light course through her veins, allowing the energy to recharge her for whatever the coming day might bring. A moment of peace—one second where the world was okay—before whatever chaos would follow.

"Sleep well?" Zuko asks from where he sits, steering Appa.

Kida grumbles a response, scolding herself for falling asleep, before looking around to take in her surroundings. It wasn't like Kida meant to step aside and let Zuko navigate, but it sort of just happened. One minute, she was wide awake, alert in case Zuko tried to attack her, and the next she was dreaming. Hiro, the ghost of the boy Kida remembers, running, falling, on the ground, bleeding. Kida tried to shake him, but he wouldn't wake up. It happened over and over again