14. Restlessness

I woke up early, the sun barely visible in the sky outside my window. My arm was hanging limply off the bed. Clay snored lightly on the mattress on the ground next to me, his arm laying on the ground where we had been holding hands. He had thrown off his covers sometime in the night, revealing his bare chest. Judging by his breathing, he was definitely still asleep.

My phone said that it was around 6 AM, so I was plenty early for school today. I crept out of my bed and put on some clothes and deodorant, being careful not to wake my new boyfriend up. It honestly felt bizarre to call him that, but now it was the truth.

I started toward the door but hesitated as I grabbed the handle. As much as I didn't want to disturb Clay, I also didn't want to leave without telling him. After weighing my options, I decided to wake him up.

I clambered on top of his mattress awkwardly. Brushing his hair lightly, I said, "Clay, get up. I gotta go to school."

He stirred slowly, slithering an arm around my back and moving it toward my head. With his eyes closed, he said, "Morning, Georgie."

I smiled. "Good morning."

"Do you want a morning breath kiss?" he asked, opening his eyes slightly. 

I rolled my eyes playfully. "You're such an idiot."

He pulled his hand down to my cheek, caressing my chin with his thumb. "Is that a yes?"

"Duh." I leaned down carefully, supporting myself with my arms so I didn't collapse onto Clay. He leaned up a little bit and met my kiss gently, moving his hand back up through my hair. The sensation was amazing, addictive; I felt like I could do this forever.

Sadly, we couldn't do it forever, so we broke apart, both of us giggling stupidly. After a brief pause to catch our breath, Clay said, "Well, we should go get breakfast. I'm gonna change."

"Okay," I agreed. "Do you want me to get out?"

He shrugged. "I mean, not really. I'm just putting on my clothes from yesterday - it's not like I have to be fully naked."

"Alright." Even with this response, I made a point of staring out the window as I heard rummaging from behind me.

"Am I too hot for you?" he asked teasingly, causing me to blush.

"Wh- no!" I retorted defensively, earning a laugh out of Clay. 

Still chuckling, he said, "Well, I'm done. Let's go downstairs."

I followed him out of my room and down the stairs. The kitchen seemed to be quiet, but a small meow startled me. Clay started wheezing again, giving my cat some scritches behind the ears. "Hey, buddy," he said, picking the feline up and gently holding him in his arms.

I shook my head. "I swear, he likes you more than me."

"Seems like it," he chuckled, softly petting my cat's head.

"Anyway, what do you want for breakfast? I can probably make something."

"I'll be good," he declined.

I looked back at him. "You sure? I mean, I don't mind, and I have the time."

"If you insist, then... I want toast," Clay sighed, smiling weakly.

Clay gently placed my cat back on the ground while I pulled out a bag of bread and took a few slices from the loaf, placing them in the toaster. I pushed down the handle before resealing the bag and putting it back. While the toast was cooking, I grabbed everything else that we needed: some plates, butter, and a knife. Once that was all on the table, the toast popped up, so I placed it on the plates before sliding them to Clay's and my seats.