Chapter 1 New Beginnings

Start from the beginning

"I mean, he shows up to our first date in-in!- I don't know cargo shorts I think! It was ridiculous!" Claire huffed pointedly looking away from you.
"I had the whole evening planned. And what does he do? Ruin it. I need my schedules!"

"Claire." You sighed pinching the bridge of your nose. You had to be careful on what you say next. She may be your friend but she's also your boss.

To think about a year ago you were offered a job here at Jurassic World as an assistant to Claire. (Your official title got lost in time, though you didn't much care for it to begin with.) You never imagined you'd be discussing a bad date with her.

She was a bit much at times, though Claire was going through a lot. She buried herself deep into her professionalism and because of that has become the person she is today. She has to be the one in control or it's not worth her time. It's not that she was trying to be bad, but she definitely wasn't good either. (Not yet anyway. She needed something to shake her out of these habits, otherwise she'll never change for the better.)

She latched herself onto the negative sometimes, desperate to find a way to correct the problem. Or sometimes she'd create a problem that was never there to begin with to stir up some trouble she could fix so she felt useful. Or to feel like a hero of the day. She craved praise and attention, and as her closest friend within the park you knew this better than anyone and tried your best not to take certain things to heart. She really wasn't a bad person just stuck in a bad mindset.

As of now her latest fixation was on a man named Owen Grady. Outside of Claire you've heard bits and pieces about him but as the saying goes out of sight out of mind. She was absolutely smitten with him the moment she met him.

Naturally she had told you at the time, though her manner of saying she thought he was handsome was to say he was okay looking and such. You had kind of hoped this relationship would work out for her, but she always had to find something wrong with the guys she dated.

Last night was just the final nail on this Owen guys coffin for her. She was obsessed with finding Mr. Perfect but her ideals in perfection were almost unobtainable. He was far beyond her idea of perfect, he did everything wrong last night during their date. At least to her he did.

It was a shame really, because you think Claire needs someone or something to be her wake up call. (Something that a friend can't do.) But that's just how the cookie crumbles.

"Are you sure you don't want to give him another chance?" You hesitated. Unsure how to phrase these next sentences delicately.
"I mean you seemed pretty into him a while ago. So what if he shows up to a date in, uh, cargo shorts."

"That's not the point (Y/N)." Claire shook her head reaching for a clip board off to the side. She was trying to distract herself by reading the reports at the desk the two of you were at.
"It was just awful! You know I have to have a schedule!"

"Yeah but sometimes dates don't need every moment planned to the last detail." You crossed your arms gazing at her.
"Sometimes dates entail, hmm, maybe some dinner. Maybe a movie, and maybe you know."

You tried to lighten the mood, wiggling your eyebrows teasingly with a sly smile to which earned you a soft shove. Claire gasped almost like she was disgusted at the mere thought of what you had suggested.

"Oh shut up, you sound just like he did." Claire rolled her eyes. You almost would have thought she was actually mad at you from the gesture, but you knew from that smile she wasn't.
"I know that's how dates are to most people. But not to me! You don't understand it wasn't just that, he did everything else wrong too. He wasn't a gentleman in any sense of the word."