Chapter 22

I woke up the next morning with my head rested against a hard surface. I looked up to see Harry sleeping. My head was on his chest and his arms were wrapped around my torso. His curly hair was messy and his pink lips were pouted.

I looked at him and smiled. He looked so peaceful and relaxed.

His eyes fluttered open and he looked down at me.

"Good morning." he said. His voice was raspy and deep.

"Good morning." I said smiling.

He slowly let go of me and got up, "I'll go make some breakfast?"

"Yeah, I'll be out in a second."

Harry walked out to the kitchen and I walked into his bathroom. I fixed my hair and took off my makeup that was a mess.

I walked out and could smell pancakes and bacon being cooked.

"How many pancakes do you want?" Harry asked.

"Just one." I said sitting on one of the kitchen stools.

"Okay. How did you sleep?"

"Good. Feeling any better?"

"Yeah, thanks for listening Violet."

Before I could answer I heard my phone ring from inside my coat in the living room.

"I'll be right back." I said walking over to answer it.

The caller ID was a number that I didn't recognize, "Hello?"

"Violet?" The voice belonged to my mother.

"Hello mother," I said slightly annoyed, "Can I help you with something?"

"I have some news regarding your internship at my company."

I suddenly felt nervous. Was it good or bad news? Was I getting an offer or an upgrade? I stayed quiet waiting for her to continue further.

"Your effort has been greatly appreciated but we are going to have to let you go. Your internship is over." my mother said.

"What? Why? I didn't do anything wrong."

"I'm aware you didn't do anything wrong but we no longer need your services. Have a good day." she said and then hung up.

I was shocked. I didn't know how to react. Now what was I supposed to do? That internship was supposed to last the entire summer. It would help me so much later in life. I slumped down on the couch. How could she fire me like that and just treat me like another business worker? I guess I shouldn't have expected anything more, she's never been an actual mother to me.

"Violet? You okay?" Harry asked, sitting down next to me.

"My mother just fired me. She ended my internship and she didn't even care." I said, still in disbelief.

"I'm sorry."

"I don't know why I care. It's not like she ever did. She doesn't give two shits about me."

"I know how you feel. My dad never did either."

I sighed, "I'm so done with her, Harry."

"Then forget about her. You don't need her anymore," Harry said standing up, "Nate's throwing a party at his house tonight, why don't you come with me?"

I hesitated at first. I don't know if Harry's friends were the kind of people I wanted to be around but why not. It's not like I have an internship to worry about anymore, "Okay sounds fun."

"Okay good," he replied smiling, "Now let's go eat some breakfast."

************

For the next couple of hours me and Harry hung out at his apartment and watched movies, joked around, and baked cookies. Harry was surprisingly an amazing baker. He told me his grandmother taught him when he was little and he use to bake with Sarah when they were bored.