Chapter 37: Uh Oh

Start from the beginning

"Sorry." He cleared his throat, releasing his grip on hers, "Wait... Can you... stay? I don't feel like being alone right now."

Mizuki was stunned, and after some contemplation, she sat beside him on the staircase. Atsumu didn't say anything else and neither did she. She never found out what had made him so upset that day but she did acknowledge that it wasn't so terrible being around Atsumu.

Maybe he was human, and not a reincarnation of the devil after all.

After that strange incident, Mizuki, Rina, and Osamu were given a project to do by the student council. Unfortunately, Osamu became sick so Atsumu reluctantly volunteered to help his brother with the project. They all planned to meet at a nearby public library on the weekend, however, Rina was going to be late because her horseback riding lessons ran later than she expected. Whether she did it on purpose or not, Rina accidentally set the two of them up to be alone for hours on end.

Mizuki fell asleep, her head resting on the table, as Atsumu noticed how cute her face kind of was. The sunlight grazing her sleepy face seemed to enhance her appeal to him, and he wondered what that was about. He shook the thoughts out of his head and decided to briefly leave her to get milk from the vending machines. After a few minutes, he came back to two high school guys harassing her for her number. Mizuki seemed frightened as she was trembling, and it was as if a dormant switch flipped inside Atsumu. He stepped in front of her, challenging the two older boys.

"Leave her alone, you scumbags." Atsumu gritted sharply.

"Oh?" One of them snickered menacingly, "Look at this puny kid protecting his little girlfriend. Adorable."

"You guys don't seem to get it," Atsumu chuckled arrogantly, "I'm a black belt in taekwondo, you dipshits. Not to mention, my dad is the police chief."

His eyes gleamed in haughtiness, "Still want to try fighting me?"

The two high schoolers glared at him before leaving the library disappointedly.

Atsumu sighed, clearly relieved, and faced her. She seemed astonished by his actions, which concerned him. Maybe he had been acting too much of an ass to her.

"Sorry I left you alone," He stated calmly, "I was getting some drinks-"

Without warning, Mizuki embraced him, burying herself on his chest. She began crying as Atsumu stared at her, bewildered. He had never seen her cry before - she always seemed strong-willed and tough. He didn't recognize this frail girl in front of him. Atsumu's heart twinged, a bizarre feeling that he had never experienced before worrying him.

Big uh oh.

"Hey..." He managed to say, trying to decipher her feelings. She must've been so afraid.

Atsumu paused for a second, unsure of what to do. Then, without thinking, he hugged her back, stroking her hair comfortingly.

"Is this a good time to tell you that I'm not really a black belt?" He joked casually, "I don't even know what taekwondo is. Also, my dad is far from a police chief. He actually owns a sushi restaurant by-"

Mizuki gazed up at him and quickly brushed her lips against his, tears still streaming down her face. Atsumu froze as he felt her soft lips electrify his entire body. At first, his mind didn't know what to do or how to process what was happening. However, his body had already responded to Mizuki's rash kiss.

Atsumu squeezed her tightly, deepening their kiss.

This was a huge, colossal, whopping uh oh.