~6~ Baking and bonding time

Start from the beginning

"...you said you saw something in her eyes- a kindness, a spark of hope...she reminds you of her, doesn't she." His voice was soft, gentle - a tone most never heard from the male and I turn my gaze to the door of the study, my brow knitting together as he steps forward.
"You really care for her, don't you, your majesty."

"It sounds crazy..."
I look back at his eyes, hiding the pained look mine now held as I shake my head and swallow.
"What if this is what I've been waiting for- what if she's my second chance." My words were almost a whisper, the feather spinning slowly between my fingers.
"She makes me feel whole again, alive- truly alive again, she takes away the pain and she doesn't even realize it-" my features were painted with the ghost of saddened memories - my gaze forcing itself to the floor.

"The soldiers are to focus on a new task." I say, taking a breath as my expression calms, my words slow and clear.
"I want them to gather information. I want to know more about her- what she does, where she goes, who she talks to and spends her time with, if she has any daily routines." A small smile forms on my face as I lightly tap the feather in my palm.
"I also want two soldiers to watch her home, keep an eye on things there."

Warner stays silent, opting for a simple nod and his hands clasp behind his back.

I watch the quill held between my fingers - thinking for a moment before my eyes shift up to the dark eyed male in question.
"Warner." I say clearly.

"Yes, sire." He responds, watching me closely.

"Before our time in America comes to a close these next few days, you will go...pick her up for me, and bring her back to the ship without any issues. We'll go over the details at a later time, for now go inform the soldiers and find your best men, bring them back here as soon as you can."
I straighten, a stern look resting on my face. "Do I make myself clear."

He nods. "Yes, your majesty."

"Good." I say simply, "You may take your leave now." I turn on my heel, setting the quill back in its place on the desk as Warner bows before leaving the room - the doors clicking shut behind him.

I stand there for a moment, listening to his soft footsteps on the wooden floor before the sound of the front door opens and closes moments later - the house falling back to a more silent state.

My mind was busy with thoughts - and a part of me wasn't sure of the right thing to do, or if I was crazy for having acknowledged the beginnings of an idea I was starting to like - I put my hands on the desk as a small smile falls on my face, my eyes holding a subtle glimmer of what felt like hope.
"I need her." My words were softer than a whisper, my eyes falling closed as my brow furrows - as if I were still partly convincing myself to go forward with it.
"I'm doing what's best..."

°
°
°

~~~ July 31, 1777 ~~~
((Y/n)'s pov)

°
°
°

Tilting my head back I let my arms fall limp, hanging by my sides as I stare at the lightening sky and gray clouds with a nervous expression hidden just below my gaze.

The area around me was quiet - populated with the beginnings of people headed out for another day's work.

My mind had been clear, blank of any thought as my fingers play with the soft fabric of the apron resting on my dress skirt - my hair done up in a messy (h/c) braid that fell over my left shoulder, two strands falling in front of my ears.

"Good morning!" A voice greets happily and I look at the blonde male as he stops in front of me, a soft smile forming on my face.

"Good morning to you too, Mr. Sanderson." I greet back and he chuckles softly, rubbing the back of his neck as an awkward smile tugs at his lips.