Letter of the Afraid: Sosuke

As Sosuke walks into his dorm room, Rin gazes at him. His eyes are still teary and sad from reading Mei's letter. He doesn't know what to do about Sousuke and giving him his letter. Rin knows by now that they have a history together. It is obvious by now. Rin remembers when they got to the hospital for the first time, Sosuke said "I'm sorry Mei..."

"Oi Sosuke ..." Rin mutters quietly. Souske turns around from putting a new shirt on and looks at Rin. He widens his eyes at how Rin's eyes looks. It looked as if he was crying.

"Hm? Are you alright Rin?" Sosuke asks. Rin looks away and gets to the question he wants to ask as he spots the letter next to him.

"Did you know... Mei?"

It is silent for a while. Sosuke doesn't know how to tell Rin... He still believes that he is at fault for Mei dying... It was his fault most likely as to why she ran...

Ultimately, Sosuke nods. "I did... Back in Sano..."

"Then why did you say 'Forgive me Mei' when Mei got to the hospital? Did you do something in the last?"

Sosuke looks away and gazes out the window. The sky is dark and cloudy. Rain threatened to fall but it is held in by the saturated clouds. This is just like the day, he hurt Mei forever...

That one mess up cost Mei her ability to swim like she used to... That one mess up cost Mei her happiness. That one mess up... Cost Mei her life....

Tears begin to flow out of Sosuke's eyes. Rin widens his eyes and stands with the letter to Sosuke. "Hey. What's wrong Sosuke?"

Suddenly, Sosuke sees a distant figure in front of the dorm door. Mei's spirit stands there. Rin wonders what Sosuke is looking as so he turns. When he sees Mei, he falls to his knees in awe. Mei walks towards them. Rin and Sosuke are both crying now. She walks to Rin first and kneels down before him.

"Hey Rin. I just came here to say goodbye."

Rin stares at Mei's brown eyes. They looks so real... She looks real...

"Why Mei... Why did you run away...? I should have ran after you, but... Now you're like this because of me..."

Mei chuckles and smiles. "I don't blame anyone. Please don't blame yourself either. I want you to be happy. And, I ran because I was afraid... I was afraid of one person."

"Who are you afraid of?" Rin asks while sniffing. Mei looks past Rin and looks up at Sosuke. She smiles and Rin realizes what she was saying.

He bolts up and gets ready to punch Sosuke in the face. But Mei instantly gets in front of Sosuke and seems to be protecting him. "Please don't take it out in him. I don't want anyone getting hurt. Sosuke didn't know about how I still felt. He might have thought I forgot about what happened."

"But what happened!? I don't understand..." Rin sobs. Mei smiles and looks at the letter Rin has in his hand.

"I think after he reads that, he might tell you."

Just as she says that, she starts to disappear. "No Mei! Please... I want to tell you... how I have been... I want to have a conversation with you..."

"Don't worry Rin. There will be plenty of time for that in your dreams."

When she says those words, she disappeared.

Rin and Sosuke are still crying over what they just witnessed. Sosuke is the first to snap out of it. He gazes at the paper in Rin's hand.

"Can I see that Rin...?" He quietly asks. Rin hands it to him and lays in his bed, still sobbing.

Sosuke climbs up onto his bunk and begins to read the letter.

Sosuke. You may think I still hated you. However, I've gotten over what you did. But for some reason, I still ran away. I didn't think it would bother me as much as it did. When you were there, it made me feel afraid. I was afraid that you might have hurt me again like you did back then.

My shoulder never healed. It was in pain various times. I had to go to the doctors every few days to go through physical therapy. I'm sure you had to as well with your shoulder. And, in sorry I didn't notice your pain. I should have since I was your girlfriend. But, once again, I'm sorry.

I remembered bathe good times we had together. We went to various festivals year round. We could say we have been almost everywhere. I wish we could have had longer together. If I met you again, I would have asked to become friends. And maybe even your girlfriend again.

Please don't be sad over my death. I know you will once your find out, but don't let it ruin your life. That wouldn't make me happy. Remember the good times we had. Don't remember the bad. Just be happy Sosuke.

Be happy for me.