Forever Gone

(A/N: just a newsflash, if you want to picture what Osumu looks/acts like, think of captain Levi from Shingeki No Kyojin)

Rin's Point of View

Osumu, Sousuke and I, wait in the waiting room. It has been several hours since we have gotten word from anyone. I don't really know why Sousuke is here. Maybe he knows Mei somehow...

But to make matters worse for me, I can't even bare the thought of losing Mei... If she was gone, I don't know how I would cope... I glance over at Osumu. He is looking down at the ground. No one can see his eyes or expression. None of my feelings can compare to his right now.

Finally, after so long, a doctor comes out and stands in front of us. Osumu doesn't even look up to face the man. But as I was about to say something, Sousuke interrupts me.

"How is she?! Is she okay?!", he says frantically. I'm so surprised at how he is reacting... But I just ignore it for now and listen to the doctor. He is looking down and looks like he is about to cry. This man in probably in his late twenties.

"I'm not sure exactly how to explain this... But, sadly, the girl has more severe injuries than we had thought. She had suffered a severe head injury. A concussion is definite, and she might fall into a coma any time soon. The oxygen we had given her, is what's keeping her alive. Bruises will heal over time, but scratches and gashes will eventually turn into scars. Let's see...", the man flips through his clipboard.

"Um... There are two things... That also concerns me. First, is, how she came in here. She was in a negative state which allowed her to hear and see her surroundings. She looked so confused. Like she didn't know what is wrong or what happened. And maybe even some people who were there, she didn't look like she knew them. Basically, what I'm getting at is, this girl may have gone through amnesia. Which means, partially or fully losing state of mind. Or in a short definition, memory loss... We aren't sure yet. It depends on when she wakes."

My head explodes. My mind fills with anger and sadness... Mei losing her memory? That is like losing your arm or your leg... That is like being born again... The man sighs and goes on after a few.

"The other thing is, an odd injury with her shoulder. The police said her shoulder from her bare skin already looked bad in the video. We had done an x ray and she has a serious shoulder injury. No muscle can be moved or else it would tare right apart. It's like it has been like that for a long time.... I'm not sure what else to say... She won't be out of operation for a while. Waiting won't do no good. However, I'm not sure if she will come out of this alive... I'm sorry..."

I can't think or speak right now... My whole world came crashing down on me... I never wanted this to happen. No one did... I can't believe she might actually... Leave me... Mei has been so close with me when we were kids... I was planning on telling her about the tournament when she came back. I won my individual event, and Samezuka won the relay... We won it for her...

I had thought she went off to clear her head about something, by being gone for 5 days... It was obvious something was wrong... Nothing made sense... Now she might die... Without Mei, how can I live?

___________

Buzz

Buzz

Buzz

Buzz

Its 4am. My phone is ringing and I feel too lazy to wake up. It has been 2 days since the operation concluded... No sign has been given from the hospital. But I reach my hand over to my phone, answer it... The caller ID said, "Nanase Haruka". What could he want?

"Oi... What do you want Haru? It's 4 in the morning and some people have the day off and would like to sleep in..."

"Rin... It's...", he stops mid sentence. He sounds awful. "She... She is... Mei is...gone..."

"Hm? What do you mean?"

"I mean... Mei... had passed... She isn't going to be with us anymore..."

My phone drops on the pillow I'm leaning on. My heart drops to the pit of my stomach as I realized I have woken up Sousuke. He says something but I assume I didn't hear it...

"What... What do you mean she is gone? Like, gone from the hospital or... Or...", I'm hoping that was one of the things.

"No... I mean like gone. She is dead".