Chapter 8: Panic Attacks

Start from the beginning

I don't bother changing out of the sweatshirt I've been living in everytime I enter my home. Harry's sweatshirt. It's the only thing that's not professional and is loose on me. Thank God for Harry Styles and his tall body that I adore.

I slip into some boots as I shove my wallet and keys into the hoodie's front pocket. I take one look around my apartment, in search of anything else I could need.

Water.

Water has been the only thing keeping my insides going for the past week. I haven't been really eating. Well, except for the time Jaz and Chris -who know about what's going on- forced me to eat chinese take out food.

As a mermaid, we don't require much food. All we really need is to have pure water in our lives. I shuffle to the kicten and pull out a water bottle to go along with the other things I'll carry. My eyes glance over to the cellphone.

I should bring it. What if Jaz calls back? What if Ryan calls back?

Going against my better judgement, I grab the phone along with the note. I turn towards the door and almost jump when I see that I had left it open.

That's terrifying.

Walking out of the door, I shut and lock it firmly before I can convince myself to step back in the apartment. Soon, I'm outside where snow is falling lightly to celebrate this seemingly boring New Years Eve day.

Shops are closing early, as they do, and I can't find a place to spend my day at. Children are putside with their familiar, having a jolly old time.

If only they knew that a threat lurked around me like a plague.

I begin to window shop in the city, avoiding the large crowds that it seemed to possess nonstop. Couples and friends were laughing, having such great times while making incredible memories.

If only I had my life figured out. I bet other 18 year olds are getting off from university to go home and see their families. I bet they're all happy, and wonderful, and smile while having some of the best times of their lives.

"Oompf," I groan when I run into someone. "Sorry I didn't-"

"It's alright, Miss. I didn't either." A deep voice quakes. I brush off some snow from my sweatshirt and look up. He looked oddly familair. So familair that I would have to say he was, "Ms. Sky?"

"Oh, Will. I'm sorry I didn't see you." I say, looking at one of my shy students. He usually sat in the second row but answered my questions often.

"It's fine. I wasn't watching where I was going." He lets out a loud chuckle. So loud, it sounds almost forced and rough. "Where are you going, Ms. Sky?"

"Please, William. Call me Lydia, everyone else does." I give him a knowing look. Sometimes when answering questions in class, he'd call me Ms. Sky.

It's as if he couldn't get used to calling one of his professors by their first name.

"Oops, sorry. Lydia." He grins and I grin back at him. "Is that better, Lydia?"

"Much better, thank you, William." I look around as the crowd of people move around us. "Any special plans tonight?"

"No, not really." His shadowy eyes look away at the crowd.

"Oh, c'mon. Any person you're going to kiss when the ball drops?" I nudge him on as a blush creeps its way onto his cheeks and into his ears.

He lets out an awkward chuckle. "Ah, no. Not this year I think."

"Oh, what a shame." I say, trying to finish off the conversation. It's not that he doesn't keep good company, but it's that I'd rather be alone right now with no one near me. Or, at least, paying attention to me.

"Well, what about you, Ms. Sky...oh right, Lydia?" He gives a pointed look as he stuffs his hands into his coat pockets.

"Nothing planned, probably just going to stay in and relax. Maybe read a good book or watch an old film."

"You like those kinds of thing?" He cocks his head to the side.

"Yeah, it's one of my favorite things to do with my boyfriend." I explain, taking a sip from my water bottle.

"Oh, that's right. You have a boyfriend."

I widen my eyes, looking down. "Yeah, I do. Listen, it was great seeing you, William. But I have to get going."

"But I was thinking we could go watch a movie together." His grin falters.

"What? Oh no-"

"It'll be on me, Lydia. I'll pay for it, just let me have some company, okay? I know this great place on the corner of-"

"Will, I'm sorry, but I'm on my way somewhere and I can't go." I attempt to explain again. His eyes grow embarrassed.

"It's fine, Ms. Sky. I'll be going now. Have a great New Year."

With that he saunters off with a pissed off, rage filled look on his face.

"Great way to end the year, Lydia." A deep voice says from behind me.

*****

First off, I'd like to see how scary this problem is turning out. What do you think about it?

Remember to drop a vote, a comment, and add it to your library so you know when I update. Also, fan me? You will get a notification if you do.

Have you ever had a panic attack? Then you'll know what she is going through.

Who do you think the stalker is? Leave your guesses down in the comments!

Find out in chapter 9!

LOVE YOU!

-Caroline