꧁ T W E L V E ꧂

Start from the beginning

"And I told you that wasn't going to happen Martin! You can't keep showing up when it suits you!".

At the mention of his fathers name being yelled out of his mother mouth, Josh froze to the spot. He held onto the island for support- his head spinning and breathing quickening. The last time he saw his father was when Josh walked in on him screwing Kelly, his sister in law, Josh's aunt.

Making his way into the living room, Josh stood in the doorway- his hands balled into fists. He felt his anger rising but knew that now was not the time for a fight. It wouldn't make things better.

"Get out. Right now".

The two frustrated adults turn to see their son and both change expressions.

"Ah, there you are my boy, come give your old man a hug" The middle aged man spoke with pride. He was wearing a similar suit to the dad in the picture earlier-  only more expensive.

Josh scoffed at his request and instead made his way over to his mother. She smiles half heartedly at her son- her hand resting on his lower back.

Martin rolled his eyes dramatically.

"Joshua you aren't still upset are you?" He questions with a bored expression. The dumb question annoys Josh and again, his fists ball.

This action doesn't go unnoticed by his mother who gently squeezes one of his hands, reassuring her son that the situation is handled.

"You better leave before my dad comes home" the brown haired boy says, earning a reaction from the silver haired man.

"Your dad?" He spits. "You mean step dad. I am your father".

Smirking, Josh crosses his arms. "You haven't earned that title Martin. You made your choice when you decided to screw your sister in law and walk out on your wife. on your son.  And the cut off all contact except for when it suits you. No longer are you going to use me to make yourself look good to all your business partners. When I succeed in football and go pro, it'll be for me and myself only. And when my son is born I'll be the father to him you never could be to me".

His parents gasp as the last sentence slips past Josh's lips. He didn't mean to say that but the anger took control and he wanted to make Martin feel inferior.

"You knocked a girl up?" His dad asks, his face draining of color.

"Joshua tell me you're not serious? Darling are you telling the truth? You're going to be a dad?" His mom bombards, suddenly feeling very faint.

Josh kicks himself for being such an idiot but if the secrets out now- he may as well explain.

"I was drunk at one of Bryce's parties and went over my limit. Nessa and I had unprotected sex and now she's pregnant. We were at the adoption agency earlier making plans" he announces, never daring to look at either of the adults. He didn't want to see the disappointment in his mother's eyes nor the ashamed glare his dad was more than likely throwing his way.

Martin cursed under his breath.

"You fucking moron. At least you're putting the thing up for adoption. You could have seriously ruined your life there kid. You're not ready to be a parent, you would suck at it. You'd be a terrible father-"

"Martin enough!" Patty scowled, her heart breaking.

Josh looked up for the first time with glossy eyes but he wasn't sad- he was angry. He was fucking pissed.

"I'd be a terrible father? You aren't exactly dad of the year yourself Martin. I'd be the best dad I could be to my son. I wouldn't leave him wondering why his dad didn't love him, I wouldn't walk out on him and I sure as hell wouldn't resent him for my own choices. You decided yourself not to go play for UCLA and you blamed it on me for my entire life. I won't pressure my son into doing something he'll grow to hate me for. I won't ever make him question why he isn't good enough for me. I will love him. I will be there for him, support him no matter what. I'll be the dad that I wished you were to me. I'll be the dad that Chris is to me. I won't be you. I'll be there. Now get the fuck out of my house before I put you out myself".

There was a strong silence that settled over the large living room. Josh couldn't help but feel a little pride in himself as he finally stood up to his dad. There was no way he was allowing him to pull the strings anymore.

Martin wasn't happy that his son just spoke to him like that. He was furious and he raised his hand to smack his son but a taller man stepped in front of him, catching Martins fist just in time. Josh opened his eyes to see his step dad Christ standing in front of him.

"That was a very fucking stupid move Martin" Chris smiles before twisting the mans arm behind his back and escorting him out of the house. Martin yells and cussed as he was being thrown out onto the pebbled ground.

Josh stands there, his mom makes her way over to the alcohol cart they keep in the corner. She desperately needs a whiskey after that.

A few moments later, Chris comes into the room once again with a concerned look. He glances over at his wife- making sure that she's okay but his priority is his step son who almost got beaten by his own father.  Chris brings Josh into his arms and the boy hugs his dad back quickly, thankful for him.

"I love you, did he hurt you? Any of you?" Chris asks frantically.

The boys break away from each other and Chris stays beside his step son, checking over him.

"No you got here before he could" Josh mumbles.

"What was all that about?" Chris asks while he takes a seat on one of the couches.

A look is exchanged between Josh and his mom who wears a sympathetic smile. She's not thrilled with the fact her son is going to be a dad but there's nothing she can do about it, it's happened now and the only thing she can do is make sure her son doesn't lack responsibility.

"Your son has something he'd like to tell you" Patty says as she makes her way over to her husband, curling up beside him.

Josh squeezes his eyes shut. Chris never gets mad or angry at him unless it's over stupid dumb shit and this- this is definitely stupid dumb shit and he knows that there's a wrath he's gonna have to face now if he tells his dad the truth. He can't exactly not tell him though. Josh takes a seat on the opposite couch and he breathes in and out quickly before ripping off the bandaid.

"I got a girl pregnant".

____________________
ꕥ A U T H O R S ꕥ
~ n o t e ~
________________

josh went OFF on that
a s s h o l e

✨ vote & comment ✨