Red Rose [bxb]

Clinging to his torn teddy bear, innocent brown eyes gazed in wonder at the flower petals fluttering majestically from the white and gold arched ceiling of the enormous chapel. Dull, grey light filtered through the white washed walls. Subconsciously sucking a small finger the boy watched as one of the pretty red rose petals danced past his face. It glowed oddly in the gloomy light, the fragility of the tiny red veins entrancing his mind. Crouching and staring intently at the crimson softness, he followed it to the ground, willing it to do something magical. Minutes passed and the child didn’t move, his tiny figure still clutching his worn, patched bear and his pinkie caught gently between white teeth. Soft brown strands ruffled in an invisible wind, the smooth marble floor of the chapel shining under tiny leather shoes. Reflected in the marble as if resting in crystal clear water, the red petal lay there innocently. It didn’t move, barely quivered as he stared, knees hunched to his small chest, creasing the tiny tuxedo dressing his frame. He didn’t like the annoying clothes anyway; the long black thing around his neck choked him but he wasn’t allowed to take it off. People talked and laughed, moving absentmindedly around him, curiously glancing at the young child. However they faded in a white haze as he studied the piece of beauty in front of him, the darker red edges curled as it rested by his feet.

In awe little fingers carefully scooped the delicate rose petal from the cold floor, his hand falling from his face. Glancing around anxiously he spotted the lady in white amidst the elegantly attired crowd. Ensuring his teddy was tucked under his arm, he scurried forwards in haste. Slipping on the floor in his polished shoes, the boy breathed quickly in shock. When the petal nearly escaped through his fingers, he scolded himself silently. He had to be careful, not silly!

As he stepped determinedly towards the pretty people swirling and spinning to the melodic waltz of the orchestra, a small pink tongue poked through his lips in concentration. Fixated on the red pillow resting on his slightly tanned hand, he didn’t pay attention to the rich world around him, simply continued forwards. People halted their conversations to watch the four year old, the dancers forced to break apart as to not send his small figure flying. Slowly the music petered away, the mass’ attention focused on the child striding towards the elegant white figure centred on the polished marble floor. A dark man stood beside her, a scarlet red suit defining his figure. Gripping her hand the man smiled thinly, leaning to whisper in her ear and twist a long blonde strand around his finger. Her face tightening in misery, the lady leaned away, elegant white adorning her figure contradicting her obvious discomfort. Oblivious to his surroundings, the young boy stepped onwards, until the large silken folds of the woman’s dress nearly swallowed him whole. In surprise the child jumped, before composing himself once again and began to stare expectantly up at the woman, patiently waiting with the petal still feathering his hands.

The man stopped his murmurings as the lad stared at them intently, the petal cupped delicately in his palm. Irritation at being disturbed evident, a twitch began in the man’s eye. Next to him the lady finally smiled in relief, eager to have a distraction from the slimy mans grasp and slippery words. She leant down to the boy, smiling sweetly at him and stroked his cheek with her thumb. She wanted to hear him speak; she hadn’t heard her son talk in the many months she had been forced away from him. His words were quiet, but echoed in the complete silence of the large elegantly dressed crowd.

“Mummy look, I found magic!” he grinned happily, large round eyes gazing with hopefulness and wonderment. He raised his hand to her, careful not to spill his precious gift. Eyes sparkling with a sudden joy she cupped her hands under his, bringing them to her face. She desperately missed her boy; she yearned to tell him, prayed he would forgive her for abandoning him. If only it were any other way.

Laughter tittered around the vast marble room at his words, ladies covering their mouths to hide their amusement, the men smirking cruelly at the youngster. She gasped in horror as the sadist behind her finally stepped forwards, yanking her suddenly and cruelly away from her son. A harsh slap broke the crowd’s laughter when the man smacked the petal from the boy’s hands, crushing it with his richly polished shoe. Heart break wrote itself in the lad’s eyes as he stared helplessly at his ruined present. In fear the boy glanced upwards at the evil man, pleading forgiveness. She tried to reach out to her beautiful child but was held back by invisible binds, silenced by the spells now cast over her body. She could only watch. Reflections of hatred and fury glimmered in her tormentor’s eyes as he stared back at the child in disdain. Gripping the boy’s face between oddly long and thin fingers, he squeezed until the youth’s eyes swam with tears of pain.

“You will not utter such evil tidings in my court again, understand me ‘boy’?” he hissed, coal black eyes flashing with red lightning, “There is no such thing as magic!” With a flourish of his hand he cast the boy to the side, a malicious smile carving his thin face as the youngster collided with the marble tiles, crying out in pain and fear. A cry finally broke through the shields, wrenching from her throat as she watched her son tossed away like a rag doll.  

“On with the proceedings!” the man called, dragging away his new bride and ignoring her futile protests as she tried to claw her way back to her weeping child curled on the ground. A single tear fell from her crystal blue eyes, her screams reaching her son seconds before the crowd exiting the chapel swallowed the newly weds. The doors groaned shut after the last lady exited smoothly, the heavy clang echoing musically around the deserted chapel. Oddly large without the presence of royals and nobles the sound ricocheted loudly in the chapel like the crack of a whip. Tear filled eyes stared desperately at the closed doors, the echoes fading to reveal the soft whimpers of the youngster. He yearned for the lady in white to come and sweep him up, cuddling him and making him laugh. The room remained still, no-one came. No-one cared. Only silence remained.

He crawled over to where his teddy lay on the cold ground, scooping it up and cuddling it in comfort. Everything is going to be okay, he told himself, the pretty lady will be back, you’ll see. He began humming quietly, blinking away the sadness and hugging the bear in love. Soft rays of sunshine began to cast the room in a glorious explosion of colour, stained glass windows lining the wall coming to life. Leaves of small trees unfurled and glowed a bright green, chandeliers hanging from the ceiling spreading iridescent lights in dancing and spinning patterns. The boy smiled, wiping the last tears from his eyes and stood carefully. Shadows seemed to flee from the room Skipping from colour to colour he began to make his departure, still humming his secret melody. Shadows soon began to cover the colour, until he was enclosed by the dark looming of the doorway. Stopping he looked upwards at the impossibly tall pieces of bolted oak and smiled again to himself. “Silly man,” he whispered happily, “there is magic.” Reaching out, the boy stroked the dark wood softly, giggling as it opened easily under his touch. With one last glance back at the magnificent room he shut the door.

Cheekily he grinned to himself, the image of rose petals covering every inch of the polished marble engraining itself in his memory forever.

“He’ll see,” he whispered secretly in his teddy’s ear.

“He’ll see.”