THIRTEEN: Ruined date

Comincia dall'inizio

"Hey.." I stopped midway as I picked up a bunch of lemon sticky notes still stuck to one another.

I quickly turned to see if I'd find the owner but he was already gone.

But I think I had a glance of him..
And..that voice..
Umar? Or could it be my imagination...

"Hey, you wanna see the fireworks too?" I forgot that he was there

I shook my head and rushed out. I had to find the owner of those notes.

"Hey..Are you okay?" Salim ran after me and stopped me.

"What... where are you going?" He asked worriedly

"Just wait here. I'll be right back." I replied and left him there, confused.

I ran to every pair or group around and peered into their faces but I couldn't find anyone who looked like him. My phone jarred and I picked up Neenah's call.

"Where exactly are you?"

"Uhh..outside. Where are you?"

"I'm inside."

"I'm coming" I said and hung up

I met her by the entrance and she glared at me but I was not in the mood to apologize or do whatever she wanted.

"Where are you coming from?" She squint-eyed me.

Salim approached us as soon as he sighted me.

"Are you okay?" He asked in a worried tone.

"Salim. We need to talk." I simply said and we occupied the closest table while Neenah just stood there speechless.

"Yes?" He asked after we had spent about a minute of silence. I didn't just know how to put it.

"Uhm..how are you here.. in Sudan?" I finally asked.

"Huh? I came for a cousin's graduation ceremony." Don't you like me around?" He wore a disappointed expression.

I guessed the cousin was from our school since our school's convocation day was around the corner. The final year students would graduate in a matter of three days.

"From Canada?" I couldn't help but ask

"Nope. I'm on hols. I came from Naija..just yesterday." He flashed his teeth.

He so liked to speak in pidgin even if it made him sound weird.

"Oh. So you came just yesterday?" I hoped that he would reply in affirmative. I would cry if he was Lemony.

"Yes. Why?" He raised a brow and I shook my head.

It really is not him..Gosh!
He messed everything up