Chapter One

Upon Steve and Kris' arrival at their base about half an hour later, they were both dragged to the medic, where they also got grilled by their Captain waiting for them there, who was red with anger that Anton Hesse was killed on the extraction mission. Steve and Kris tried to explain what had happened, and how their mission had somehow been compromised, but the Captain wouldn't have any of it. Of course, they were immediately taken off the mission, as they were now emotionally compromised and a conflict of interest due to both of them and their father getting dragged into this mess and ordered to return to O'ahu for a family emergency. They were forbidden to investigate this case further and were told that if they were caught impeding on the Navy's investigation and mission, they would be facing a court martial. And then, the Captain left as soon as he got there, mumbling something about how he was sorry for their loss.

Still unable to comprehend everything that had just happened, Steve and Kris let the medics look them over and patch up Kris' bullet wound. Thankfully, the bullet ricocheted off of Kris' TAC vest and lodged itself in her deltoid muscle. The bullet was easily removed, and by the looks of it, the wound should heal on its own in a few weeks, but unfortunately for her, her left arm is put in a sling and she is given direct orders to keep it as still as possible to allow the muscle to heal properly. Once the medics give them both approval to leave, they are escorted out of the med bay, where they are immediately taken to their quarters and given ten minutes to gather their things. Steve quickly fills both of their duffle bags, thanks to Kris only having one working arm right now. The twins are then quickly escorted to the Humvees and brought to the nearest airbase, where a cargo plane is being held for them to board so they can get home as soon as possible.

Steve and Kris keep their heads down and find themselves unable to find the right words to say to each other during their entire trip back home, so they were silent for pretty much the entire fifteen-hour trip. The trip took two separate planes to finally get them to Hickam airbase on the beautiful, sunny island of O'ahu, which was once their home many years ago. If the McGarretts' visit back home for the first time in almost seventeen years was under better circumstances, they would almost feel relieved to be back on the island. But, of course, what they were feeling was quite the opposite- their visit to the island was to bury their father, and then take care of all of the legal issues before getting shipped back out overseas for their next mission, as if nothing had ever happened. Being ordered off the mission that resulted in their father's death was definitely a low blow to both Steve and Kris, but they both knew that they couldn't risk their careers for some petty revenge on Victor Hesse. So, like the good little soldiers they are, they will do what needs to be done here, and then get buried in another op as always. Hell, maybe they will even switch gears and go back to intelligence or something to make sure that their brains are constantly occupied so they can forget that they don't have parents anymore.

Just as the plane touches down to the tarmac of the Air Force base and the pilot takes over control of the plane, the co-pilot turns around and looks at Kris. "Ma'am, I have an incoming call from the Governor of Hawaii. If you put on the spare headset, I will patch you in." he says to her, gesturing to the headset dangling above Kris' head. She tries to put on the headset herself, but with one hand, she has no luck. Steve reaches over and puts it on his sister's head, chuckling a little bit at her frustration. Feeling a little angry at her inability to do such a simple task, Kris nods to the co-pilot to connect her to the call while the plane taxis around the airstrip.

A woman's voice patches through the headset, which Kris assumes is the governor. She hasn't been keeping track of who is in office at home anymore, as her and Steve have been away for far too long to care at this point.

"Commander, this is Governor Pat Jameson. I just wanted to start by saying I'm so sorry for your loss." The Governor says to Kris, which makes her heart speed up a little bit- she forgot how painful it was to hear people say I'm sorry for your loss to her. Its something she has detested since the day her mother died. Were people truly sorry for her loss? Or did they just want to make sure that Kris, Steve and their little sister Mary, who was only ten at the time of their mothers death, were getting enough attention, as all eyes were on the honorable John McGarrett, who was simply inconsolable... more than words could ever describe. Her father's pained cry from the front door was a sound that was forever ingrained into Kris' brain, and is something that will haunt her forever, along with the singular gunshot that murdered her father less than twenty-four hours ago.