Chapter Seven

The meeting with Kamekona, a very large, and a bit standoff-ish native Hawaiian man, went exactly as Chin had predicted. Kamekona insisted on only talking to Chin and not the Haoles, who he clearly did not trust, even when they each bought a large shaved ice and a shirt from him. Steve, Danny and Kris then waited by the cars while Chin talked with Kamekona.

When Chin made his way back a few minutes later looking rather pleased, the three haoles hoped that he got good intel from Kamekona. Chin ushers them into a little huddle so they can quietly discuss the conversation he just had.

"alright." Chin says, clapping his hands together. "Kamekona got us a meeting with Sang Min, a big trafficker on the island. The meeting is tomorrow at noon, so we have until then to prepare." Chin explains. The three others nod along.

"who's meeting him?" Danny asks the burning question.

"we set it up so the bait is a Chinese woman trying to bring her family in, which Sang Min gladly agreed to. I have the perfect person in mind... you guys up for a little walk down the boardwalk?" Chin suggests, smiling a little bit.

Steve, Danny and Kris all nod in agreement and follow him down the beach for about half a mile. The four find themselves on a little cove on the north shore, which Kris and Steve recognize as a popular surfing spot. They used to surf it all the time growing up with their friends. This spot is only really known to the locals, as it is a lot more rough than most of the beach- only good surfers can hit these waters.

Chin stops and looks out to the water, looking for Kono Kalakaua, his cousin, who is set to graduate from the police academy in a few weeks.

"Who's your bait?" Kris finally asks Chin, just as he locates Kono, who is currently about to hit a big wave.

Chin points her out. "right there, yellow suit. That's my cousin, Kono."

Steve lets out a low whistle as Kono absolutely shreds the wave. "she's good."

"Oh she's better than good. Kid was on the pro circuit when she was 16. She blew out her knee a few years ago and had to re-invent herself- she decided to wear a badge. She graduates from the academy in a few weeks. Unfortunately, she won't be going too far because of her family." Chin gleams with pride, but then gets a little sour at the end, as he knows that Kono is bound to be a beat cop for her entire life because she is related to him.  Nobody at HPD will respect her for being related to him, and it breaks his heart to think about. He wants Kono to thrive, not be muted by a familial grudge.

Suddenly, another surfer drops in on Kono's wave and takes them both down, earning an 'ouch' and some low whistles from the four on the beach watching her. When Kono resurfaces at the shore, she looks absolutely livid as she hauls ass to catch up to the other surfer who took her out.

"you sure she's gonna be able to handle herself with Sang Min? I'm sure there are plenty of UCs at HPD that we could get to help." Danny asks, just to make sure.

Having someone who is inexperienced could blow the entire op for them; Danny knows this from experience. It happened a few times to him in Jersey, and he really does not want to be in that situation again.

"She's got no street experience. Are you sure about this, Chin?" Steve adds, looking rather skeptical.

Danny quickly changes his mind when Kono clocks the surfer with a right hook and knocks him to the ground without hesitation. Danny decides right then and there that she can handle herself tomorrow, no problem.

Kris and Steve are rather impressed too- they chuckle when she drops the guy on the beach. She can definitely handle herself tomorrow, they now know that for sure.