1: Beginning

"May he rest in peace now."

    The preacher had been talking in his monotone voice for hours at this point. Everyone was silent and allowed him to talk, staring at him while some cried. You sit on the first, left pew with your arms crossed against your chest, glaring at the old man. Mia sat next to you with her hands in her lap as she stared at the man.

Why does he have to be so dang annoying? Why do I have to wear this stinking dress?! I'm never letting Mia choose my outfit again, you think to yourself.

    You look down at your black dress Mia had chosen for you.

    You sigh and look back up at the man, who was now standing in front of you, only halfway facing you

    You sigh and look back up at the man, who was now standing in front of you, only halfway facing you. You go back to glaring at him as he continues on.

    "This poor girl has had her father taken from her, but I believe Christ has good things in store for her future," he says as he looks down at you and grabs your hand that was clutching the dress fabric that rested on your knee. You suppress a scowl and the urge to rip your hand away from his by instead showing a small smile. He returns the smile, then releases your hand and continues talking. You block everything out as you try to calm yourself, but Mia's grip on your hand takes you out of it. You look down at your hands then at her and see a small smile played on her lips. It was that smile that said "I'm here. It's okay." You smiled back at her and let go of her hand as she knew what you were trying to do.

    Mia traces the word "GO?" on the back of your hand then looks up at your face, waiting for a response. You lightly trace "YES" on the back of her hand to which she smiles. She leans back to her mom and tells her in a whisper that both of you have to go to the bathroom. You both get up and start back toward the back, following closely to the wall. You tighten your grip on Mia's hand as she leads the way and you feel eyes staring at you as you go. You make sure to keep a calm composure so they won't think anything is wrong.

    As you guys near the door you hear the preacher calling up your uncle to talk about your father.

Just in time, thanks Mia.