Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

"(Y/n), may I ask you something?" Tomoko said calmly. (Y/n) gave a sheepish nod in response. "Do you remember when your last checkup was?"

The girl went silent, too scared to answer the question. Josuke, realizing what her silence meant, reluctantly asked, "Wait. (Y/n), is this your first checkup?"

She confirmed his question with a single nod.

"What!?" Rohan, Tomoko, and Josuke suddenly bellowed out. Tomoko continued to speak.

"You've never had a checkup before this one!? Not even when you went to the hospital!?"

(Y/n) shook her head, feeling ashamed. Tomoko pinched the bridge of her nose and said, "Rohan, did (M/n) give you any records from the hospital? Or even (Y/n)'s birth certificate?"

"Not a single one I'm afraid." Rohan replied as he mirrored Tomoko's gesture. "All she gave me was a suitcase full of (Y/n)'s clothes."

(Y/n) made a noise of uncertainty, prompting the three adults to look in her direction. It was evident by the way she glanced down at her swinging feet that she had something to say, although she wasn't sure if she dare say it or not. Josuke was the first to speak up.

"Is there something you need to say, (Y/n)?"

The girl fell silent before speaking up. "Um...a birth certificate tells you where you were born, right?"-The three adults hummed in response-"Then...I don't think I have one."

"Would you happen to know why?" Asked Rohan.

"...Mama gave birth to me in the middle of the woods."

The noise from outside gradually became louder as the silence in the office grew heavier. Rohan and Tomoko pinched their noses harder and Josuke awkwardly twirled his stethoscope. The silence led (Y/n) to believe that she was at fault, so she quickly came to her mother's defense.

"Mama wanted to bring me to a doctor, she really did. But she couldn't afford it, and she lost the last of her money when she brought me to the hospital...I'm sorry..."

"No no (Y/n), you have nothing to apologize for!" Josuke said. "No one is mad at you; this situation isn't your fault."

Isn't your fault. Why did those words stand out to (Y/n)?

Carrying the x-ray scans and notes under her arm, Tomoko walked over to Rohan. The calmness she had before left her face and a stern expression had taken over. "Rohan, I need to talk to you outside. This is urgent."

Rohan, after assuring (Y/n) that he'd be right back, followed Tomoko out of the office wearing a poker face to hide the fear he was feeling at that moment.

Then, the door closed behind them.

                                                                                   <><><>

"Unbelievable! Un-fucking-believable! How could anyone let their own child get to that state!?"

If they weren't the walls to her workplace, Tomoko would've punched a hole through every single one. Rohan could practically see steam puff out of her nose as she paced back and forth like a chained animal wanting to be freed. She got some peculiar glares from bystanders, but if they saw what Tomoko saw, then they would've acted the same way.

"Rohan, I'm not going to sugar coat anything. In all my years of examining patients, I have never seen a case as severe as this one. If we didn't come to her aid today, (Y/n) would've been dead by tomorrow."