Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

Tomoko squeezed the hand that was placed on Josuke's shoulder. "Aw, what's eating at you? Not thinking of backing out, are we?" She teased.

"Oh no, not at all!" Josuke said with a wave of his hands. He averted his gaze from his mother and focused on the picture frame in front of him. "It's just that Grandpa...he protected Morioh...he made so many people feel safe and happy to live here. And I want to do the same to carry his legacy! But what if I mess up and disappoint, Mom? What if I can't make his spirit live on?"

"Josuke..."

Then Josuke, knowing full well that he would not be able to hear a sound, placed the stethoscope over the photograph.

"Why did Grandpa have to go?"

A somber tranquility settled in the office. Tomoko, maintaining her confident attitude, lifted Josuke's chin and turned his head towards her. Her face was plastered with compassion, a contagious trait that soon caught onto Josuke's face.

"Josuke, do you know what made your grandfather a great police officer in the first place?"

Josuke brought a finger to his chin. "Well, he was exceptionally brave! He always rushed in to save others, and no matter how bad things got, Grandpa never lost sight of his benevolence-"

"Bingo." Tomoko interrupted. "Josuke, you're only a student, not a fully-fledged nurse. You're going to mess up from time to time, and that's ok. But with every fumble you have, make sure to keep your benevolent spirit going; it's what will truly heal your patients and make Morioh and your grandfather's spirit live on in the end."

Josuke allowed a moment of silence to let his mother's advice resonate with him. His lips twitched upward, and he pulled Tomoko into a hug. "My benevolent spirit, huh?"

"It's the best medicine," Tomoko replied as she leaned her head against Josuke's. "Grandpa and I will always be so proud of you, Josuke. Never forget that."

"I won't..." He replied, copying her gesture. "Thanks, Mom. You've really helped me a lot...you know, if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be here right now."

"Yeah, I know you wouldn't be here without me," Tomoko replied in a sarcastic yet playful tone. She and Josuke let out a genuine laugh as he placed her head into a headlock, ruffling her hair with his knuckles.

"Oh, shut it."

Tomoko tore away from his grip and fixed her hair, irked that her locks were now in a messy state. She shot her son a dirty look who, in return, pulled out his reliable comb and brushed his pompadour, striking his mother with a pompous look. Tomoko rolled her eyes and laughed, before being interrupted by the ringing of her office phone and Josuke being interrupted by the dinging of texts.

"Oh, I've got it! Josuke, check your phone, they're probably from your friends!" Tomoko said as she walked over to her office phone. Josuke did as he was told, and sure enough, they were from his closest friends, who sent him pictures of their first days on the job.

OKUYASU: Hey bro! Is this crazy or what? Now that we're making our own cash, we can finally stop leeching off of Shigechi! Good luck today, don't sweat it! I'll bring over a celebratory dish tonight!

Paired with Okuyasu's message was a photo of him and Morioh's acclaimed chef, Tonio Trussardi, dicing tomatoes in the kitchen of Trattoria Trussardi. While Tonio's smile held a sense of fatherly pride, Okuyasu had his usual goofy smile that never failed to charm those around him.

KOICHI: Hey Josuke! Have a great first day at your work-study! Tell me all about it tonight, ok? We're all rooting for you!

Koichi's photo showed him and his older sister, Ayana, giving peace signs to the camera. In the background, a class of 4th-grade students all waved, their faces beaming with happiness; all except for one boy, who was tucked away in the back, staring out of the window with a camera on his desk.