In the beginning...

Start from the beginning

"Gnaah!" I scream out, "help me! Please!"

Finally, the pain in my mouth ends, I feel around. There are two sharpened fangs now in my mouth.

"No!" I cry out and throw myself on the ground, "what's happening to me?"

He smiles, then goes over to the young boy. He looks the boy deep into the eyes and says,

"You won't be afraid. Get up and offer your blood to my little sister."

The boy stands up and comes over to me, he holds out his hand. I take it and stand up. He smiles at me and bends his neck, flashing a bleeding bite on his neck.

"I want you to drink my blood."

He says, putting his hands on my hips. I bite my lip and come closer. I put my hands on his shoulders, then press my lips onto his neck. Before I know it, I'm drinking his blood. He's moaning, then he stops.

There's no more blood, I push him off of me. His limp body falls to the ground. I look at my older brother, his red lips in an evil grin. I gasp for air,

"what am I?"

I ask him, tears streaming down my face. He walks over to me and lifts my face to meet his gaze. He strokes my face and says,

"why your a vampire, my dear."

Back to Present day:

Today me and my brothers were going to try to be normal kids again. Me, Conrad, Josiah, and Justin we're going to go to high school today.

My father thinks that trying to be normal kids again will help us sat intact with our humanity. It's my first time ever going to a high school, to be honest I'm a little nervous. I hope people like me.

When I woke up this morning I showered, blow dried my hair, and curled my hair. After that, I brushed my teeth, put on my makeup, and stood in front of my closet. I had no clue what to wear.

Finally, I decided on a dark pair of skinny jeans, black heels, a button down checkered shirt, and a leather jacket. I had to admit, I looked pretty bad ass.

I sigh as I walk down the stairs, my brothers already down there. When I go into the living room my father claps his hands together and laughs,

"finally my lovely daughter you are ready! Come, my sons. Let us take a picture for your first day of school."

Justin rolls his eyes,

"father, we have one million photos! Please, no more."

My father gives Justin a look, Justin sighs and stands in front of the fireplace. The rest of us gather in around the fireplace. Zachariah watches from the couch as we take a photo. When we're done I hold my hand out to Zachariah.

"Come," I say, "take a picture with us."

He stand up and starts to walk out,

"I would rather drive a wooden stake through my heart, sister."

He says to me over my shoulder. I cross my arms and sigh,

"he'll come around."

Then we were off. I drove my yellow slug bug behind Conrad's mustang, Justin drove behind me on motorcycle. Josiah was in the passenger seat of my car. I glanced over at him to see what he was wearing. His style hadn't changed for 500 years. He dressed preppy. He had on khaki shorts, a light colored button down shirt, and sperry's.

He smiles me,

"do you think we can do it?"

I look back at the road and sigh,

"do what Jo?"

He leans his head back,

"be around all those people without losing control."

I look over at him and smile at my little brother,

"Josiah, you'll be fine."

Bulgaria 1567:

After you become a vampire, there's like a switch inside of you. A switch to turn off your humanity and to turn it on. It's a lot easier to turn it off, for a while I did. So did most of my family. That meant that we had no remorse for human life or feelings. We can't control ourselves around people. Whenever we were in large crowds it was as if we could get every single heart beat of everyone. After that, we could lose control. Meaning, we would kill every living thing in sight. It was horrific. Josiah never turned off the humanity in him.

I remember once when the family was in Bulgaria and our mother was still alive. My mom sat on the couch in our house in Bulgaria. It was a beautiful purple felt couch with a golden blanket draped across it.

Josiah's head was in my mothers lap, he looked like a mess. His light blonde hair was matted to his sweaty forehead. His face was pale, the rouge of his was long gone. His lips looked gray and he could barely hold open his eyes. My mother stroked his face and held up a glass of blood up to him,

"Darling, please drink."

He shook his head,

"no."

His voice wasn't baby smooth anymore, it was scratchy now. My mother looks up at me and sighs,

"Josiah, please love. Just drink a little. You look bad."

He just shakes his head again. He catches my eye and smiles dimly at me.

"I know what your thinking,"
he whispers looking at me, "I'm not crazy. I swear."

I roll my eyes at my little brother and say,

"then why are you doing this? Why are you making yourself suffer?"

He closes his eyes,

"at least I can feel pain."

It clicked then, what he meant. He wanted to save his humanity. I honestly loved my brother more than I ever have in that moment.