Chapter 10: Tessa

Start from the beginning

"I haven't been to a club since your twenty-first birthday." Nora interrupts my thoughts.

"Really? That long!" I laugh, but I don't think I have even been to a club since then either.

"Yeah, I think Landon was traumatized from that day. He drank more that night than he ever did in his whole life."

"I remember! You two were all over each other on the dance floor! I had never ever seen him like that."

"Yeah, that was the first and last time Landon Gibson would ever get wasted. I try to get him to go out for fun, but he refuses. I think it's because he wasn't coherent enough to stop you from getting this." She grabs my wrist, and points at my smiley face tattoo.

"Yeah, I feel bad that he feels bad. He wouldn't have been able to stop me."

"I know, but he promised Hardin that night that he would make sure you wouldn't do anything crazy, and look what happened."

"Wait, what? He spoke to Hardin that night?" I didn't know that. From what I remember, Landon hadn't spoken to Hardin in a while since he was so busy with the book tour.

"Yeah, he told me later that day when he was literally beating himself up over it. Hardin saw the picture I posted of all of us, so he called Landon to make sure you were being safe."

"Oh..." I wish Landon told me that Hardin called him that night, things could've gone so differently. For one thing, I probably would've never gotten the tattoo if I knew he was still concerned about me in that way. Fuck, now I feel awful.

"Here are your drinks!" Kim comes back after being gone for about ten minutes. "Sorry, the bartenders were so slow." She looks very frazzled, but I don't question it because that's just Kim.

"I think the band is gonna come on stage any minute." Kim smiles as she sips her dirty martini.

"You still won't tell me who is gonna be performing!" I am not good with stuff like this. I need to know right now, the anticipation is killing me.

"All in good time, Tessa. They'll introduce themselves on stage." She assures me with a hand on my arm, but I just roll my eyes.

A couple people pass by and cheer at me. I think it's because of this sash and tiara. I want to take it off because it's drawing way too much attention, but Kim put a lot of effort into tonight, so I'm just gonna suck it up.

"Do we know the band?" Nora asks.

"Tessa definitely knows them, I don't think you do though... they've been growing in popularity over the last few years, and personally I really enjoy their music."

A band that I know that Nora wouldn't? I honestly can't think of any.

While Kim and Nora talk more about the kind of music the band sings, I think about Hardin, of course. My thoughts revolve around that man and what he's doing every second of every day. I don't want to ask Kim for the millionth time if Hardin or Landon texted or anything. I wish I had my phone with me; I would be under a lot less stress.

"Any news from Hardin?" I ask Kim, unable to stop myself.

She looks at her phone, but shakes her head. "Nope. Just a text that Christian got back to the hotel room with the kids."

It's weird that I haven't heard from Hardin in a couple hours. I can't help but worry, even though he is probably texting my phone with messages about how much he doesn't want to hang out with Landon. Ugh. Did I mention I wish I had my phone?

"Everything is fine girl, relax and enjoy the music." Kim places her hand on my shoulder, obviously noticing my panicked state.

"Yeah, yeah I will." I lean back, and close my eyes.

"Oh look, the band is setting up on stage." Nora points towards the front of the club where the stage is. There are four guys, all who seem a little older, maybe in their late thirties. I can't really see much since the lights are off, but I can see them for a split second when the light hits them.

The club music quickly dies down as the lights on the stage turn on. I hear the microphone feedback as some man wearing ripped skinny jeans and a white tee goes up to speak into it.

"How's everyone feeling tonight?" This man asks the crowd, and we cheer in response. "Good good, well we're glad to be here for the first time in New York City! Thank you so much for having us." The crowd is going absolutely apeshit, so I can barely hear what he's saying.

"If you don't know us, I'm Jonah, this is Kevin, Jack and Greg, and we're The Reckless Few. Now who's ready to have a good time!" The guitar starts playing, and it's an upbeat pop song, but it sounds a little rock too, kind of like... The Fray.

Kim is staring at me smiling. Am I supposed to understand why she's giving me this goofy look?

The Fray. The Reckless Few. Jonah. "Kim, no fucking way." She didn't.

"Surprise! Do you remember this!?"

My eyes widen at the lead singer, and I begin to remember. This is Professor Soto's band.