Chapter 22

Tanjiro's POV

My eyes fluttered open, the morning sun creeped into the white hospital room. I groaned at the stiff pain that washed over me, my head ached and my arm throbbed. 'The hell happened?' I thought, "Tanjiro, you're awake!" I turned my head slightly, and there was Zenitsu, sitting next to me. The sun shone behind him, the light made him look like an angel. I smiled slightly, "Hey" my voice was rough and hoarse. "Hey, how do you feel?" he asked, he held my hand in his, "Like hell" I smiled. He chuckled, which sounded like music to me, am I dead? Is this heaven? He placed a hand on my cheek, got closer to me and gently kissed me, his lips were soft and his touch was gentle. The kiss lasted no more than ten seconds but it was a good one. He pulled away and carefully wrapped his arms around me, not hugging too tightly. which was appreciated. "What happened?" I asked as he sat back down, "I don't really know, you went MIA for a few days. So I went looking for you-" "Why would you do that, my neighborhood is crazy dangerous, I don't know what I would do if you got hurt because of me" I cut him off. "Don't worry, I wasn't alone. I took Murata and Inoske with me" he said in a prideful tone, "And thanks to me, no one got mauled!" he laughed. "We found you in the alley, you were half dead so we called you an ambulance," he said. I looked him in the eyes, "Thank you" he nodded, "Of course, I'd do anything for you"
A knock came from the door, I looked over. "Nezuko?" she stood at the door alongside a police officer and my social worker. She came to my bedside, I looked at her. She had betrayed me, betrayed my trust, I wanted to look away but I couldn't. I looked in her eyes for a mere second, but that was enough to see how sorry she was. Her eyes were full of sadness and regret, her brows were furrowed and she was at the brink of tears. "Nezuko told us that it was Berry who did this, that he hits you?" my social worker, Amber asked. She wore a professional black pantsuit with a white blouse, she had dark skin and black curly hair. "That's it's been like this for a while?"
Nezuko grappled her arms around me and sobbed into my shoulder, "It's ok, it's ok, I forgive you" I chuckled. "When you regain your strength, we'd like to ask you a few questions," Amber said, I nodded my head.
The next few hours were me and Zenitsu talking, Murata and Inoske had stopped by and stayed for a bit. We all even doodled on my cast, apparently I had broken my arm, well more like Berry had.
But now... I have to talk to the cops.
"How long has Berry been hitting you?"
"I don't know, ever since we moved in with him. I guess he went from being mean, to straight up abusing me, but it's never been this bad"
As soon as the questions started all the memories flooded back in, all the times they've ever hit me. Halfway through I started to tear up. The questions only lasted around an hour but it was only now that I realized how scarred I was, how damaged I am. "We've already set you and Nezuko up with another foster family, don't worry we've already done an extensive background checks" she said. I sighed, "You and Nezuko will be moving in with them as soon as your cleared by your doctors, and they'll come and meet the two of you tomorrow, if that's alright?" she asked. I nodded, "Ok then, we'll be leaving you to rest now, thank you for your corporation" the officer and Amber left the room. A few minutes later Zenitsu and Nezuko came back, they had brought me a fine selection of candy and food. "We got you something from the Dairy Queen a few blocks down," he said as he handed me a bag and a cup. I pulled out the tray on the side of my bed, I positioned the tray in front of me and set the food down.
I opened the bag and set the food down on the tray, they had gotten me a burger a large order of fries, chicken strips and coke. "Wow, thanks, I'm starving!" I said, "I figured" Zenitsu chuckled.
Nezuko sat at my bedside, our new foster family was about to arrive. I felt anxious and stiff, with good reason of course. Zenitsu had come to see me this morning, it was kind of early but I didn't mind. He said he wanted to check on me before he went to school, although he didn't stay very long I was grateful, he had assured me that everything would be ok, and that even if everything went to hell, I'd still have him.
Amber came in, "Are you ready?" she asked, Nezuko looked at me, I nodded. "Yes"
Two adults came into the room, a man and a women. They wore sympathetic smiles, but I could tell that they were also nervous. "Hi" the women waved at us slightly, "My name is Rosemary, and this is my wife, Maura," she said quietly with a smile. I was bit taken back, 'A lesbian couple, I've never been with a lesbian couple but it makes sense'
Rosemary was light skinned and had strawberry blond hair, she was a bit chubby and much shorter than the women next to her and, she had freckles and brown eyes. She wore black yoga pants and a light pink blouse, she also wore black knee boots with a slight heel. Maura on the other hand had a slim build and chocolate skin with long, slightly curled dark hair. She wore glasses and a light blue cardigan with a white t-shirt, a pair of skinny jeans, and white converse. They also brought a large Samoyed dog, it seemed very composed and elegant but I was a bit stunned by the dog. "And this is our dog, Biscuit. We're very excited to have you" Maura said, I shifted in my seat.
"I'm Tanjiro and this is my sister, Nezuko" I said, "Well, we're very pleased to meet you!" Rosemary exclaimed. 'Maura is calm and sophisticated, I can tell that much, and Rosemary seems to be the happy excited one' I thought, 'But it could all just be an act of course'
Biscuit trotted over to Nezuko and stood there, looking at her. "Don't worry, he's really nice and doesn't bite," Maura explained. Nezuko hesitantly extended a hand, Biscuit sniffed it for a few seconds before proceeding to lick Nezuko's hand. She giggled at the dog .'I guess the least I could do is give them a chance'I was released from the hospital the next day, as we drove to Rosemary and Maura's house I felt a bit nervous. Although that feeling quickly faded when we arrived to their house, it was a large craftsman type home. They parked in the driveway, Nezuko cautiously got out of the car and so did I. We walked close to each other and followed Maura and Rosemary through the door, as soon as we entered I was hit with the smell of lavender. The home was bright and had an aesthetic to it, calm neutral colors were the base of the home, along with several plants. I looked around, "The house is yours to explore, but please, let us show you to your rooms" Maura said leading the way. We went to the second floor, the stairs lead to a hallway, at the end of the hallway was a balcony. Maura led to a door on the right side of the hallway, "This is your room, Nezuko" Maura said opening the door.