Victoria Parker's Sublimination

My mom was always the "go with the flow" and "what happens happen" type of person. She never took responsibility for her actions and wasn't the perfect motherly figure. That's why I was taken by surprise when she told me we were moving in with her new fiancee. Out went the whole carefree and hipster mom, in came the serious and embarrassing mom. I don't know about you but I'd take a hipster over a businesswoman any day.  

I remember the day she broke the news to me. The sky was a light blue color and the sun was shining brightly for the first time in a while. There were patches of snow here and there, hidden under unmoved cars and trees, but other than that the grass was glistening from all the water it had been receiving. 

The first sign that she wanted to tell me something life changing was when she was cooking breakfast. My mom never plans anything, ever. If we go on vacation it's by the grace of God because my mom definitely doesn't have enough patience to book a flight, room and find activities to do. Planning is just not her thing. 

I walked into the kitchen, fresh stubble on my long legs and having severe morning breath which was the results of eating Doritos before bed. I yawned and sat down on one of the cushiony bar stools, my legs shying away from the cold metal on the bottom.

"I'm going to cook blueberry pancakes, is that okay with you?" The way that she said it so carelessly shocked the heck out of me. Normally she just cooks whatever she finds first. One morning we had tofu hotdogs for breakfast... I think I skipped that one. 

"Mhm, sounds good to me," I mumbled back. She shot me a smile and took out a pan to cook the pancakes in. I got up and started to open the cabinets until the faint smell of blueberries hit my nostrils and took me by surprise. Well I'll be damn.

"You already made the mix," I stated. 

"Yeah, the idea came to me last night so I just made homemade batter then refrigerated it. I thought that would be the best thing to do since you like the homemade ones better then the box."

I sucked my teeth and went to go sit back on the barstool. I smell something fishy... and I'm not talking about the tuna sub sandwiches we had last night that were rotting in the garbage can. I watched as she poured the batter in and skillfully cooked the pancakes. Not one came out charred or blackened; I didn't even know she could make microwavable pancakes.

She put a stack of two onto a china plate and sat it in front of me. I watched her as she went and grabbed the buttery maple syrup, eating utensils, and moseyed her way over to the stool beside me. She gave me a knife and a fork and started cutting her stacks into eighths. The aroma the pancakes were giving off were too hard to resist so I turned my attention back to them and cut mine into eights also. My mom cleared her throat shortly after I had finished half of the first pancake. I knew something big was coming up.

"So, you know how I've been seeing Cameron for a while now, right?" I nodded my head and continued chewing; waiting to see where this Cameron guy was coming into this picture she was attempting to paint. 

"Well, we're getting married soon." And the trophy for the bluntest announcement goes to my mom. Hurrah! 

"So that's what the pancakes are about, huh? And I suppose you're also going to propose the idea that we go live with him wherever he lives at far away from here also. So, ya know, we can become one big happy family and create the Brady Bunch. Well news flash Mom, you're too old to create the Brady Bunch so you're going to have to settle for one child. One. Uno. Ace." I could only imagine how flustered my cheeks were as I said that to her. When I'm upset I become over dramatic, my cheeks start to turn pink and someone has even told me that I've started to hyperventilate a time or two. I wouldn't take it that far. 

"Actually he has two children already and I'm not planning on making any more," she matter-of-factly stated.

"Since when do you plan? You've never been a planner, you couldn't even plan my birthday party when I told you specifically what I wanted," I mumbled as I continued stuffing my face with pancakes. It probably came out sounding like, "Shwince chwen to hue wan? Lou've shwever plen ah blannet, hue chouldn't wevan wan I birfday parwe wen I chold hue spefwiclly kwat I gwonted," but I didn't even care. She probably got the gist of it. Hopefully. Most likely... not. 

"Victoria Parker, Don't make this so difficult. He has a wonderful family and lives in a magnificent neighborhood. You should be happy for me. We're moving and that's final." My mom has turned into an evil little conniving bi-planner in the blink of an eye. I didn't even have time to respond because by the time I'd chewed up my pancakes, thought of an answer, and stuffed some more into my mouth she had already fled to the kitchen. 

And that's how I ended up at Barbie's Malibu beach house. South Carolina Edition. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a little background for ya.

Victoria is your all-american blonde hair and blue eyes girl,

she's doesn't look exactly like her. ---->

Comment. Fan. Add to Library. Read.

Do whatever, just enjoy it.