22 : THREE SYLLABLES.

Start from the beginning

Surely some of their classmates wondered why Yukimi would politely refuse the group studies with a well-practiced smile. After that event, the girl worked herself up to the point of exhaustion, drilling into herself how she should know the answers given that she is acknowledged as one of the top students in Nekoma.

"I'll give that a pass, Kagami-san," she lightly gave out a laugh. "I'd rather study in my own house."

Romio chuckled along with her. "That's a bummer," he replied. "We could really use your help in mathematics, most of the problems in the study packet the teacher gave us were unanswered. Miyuki-chan, fortunately, discovered some of the answers online and we have to approach the mathematics genius in our class to help us," the boy then waved his hand nervously, "not that you aren't one, Kazahana!"

A light laugh colored the area where they stood. "I don't even acknowledge myself as a genius, Kagami-san, and I probably wouldn't be much help in any subject." Her eyes then gravitated at someone making their way to them. As usual, his appearance, lopsided tie coordinated with the summer uniform, caused a whirlwind of butterfly wings to travel from her stomach to her chest. His golden eyes brightened when they found themselves meeting each other's gazes but his face immediately turned neutral at the sight of Romio, making Yukimi want to explain that this was purely coincidental. "Ah, I really have to go, Kagami-san. The team has morning practice and I should be at the gym at this time."

Romio hummed, following the girl's stare. He then rose his eyebrows as Kuroo and Kenma walked towards them, the former looking like he stepped out of a magazine (which made Romio squirm in insecurity) while the latter never lifted his head from his gaming console. "I see," he weakly told her.

"Kagami," Kuroo nodded at Romio before looking at Yukimi, his eyes becoming soft around the corners. "Hana, let's go."

The girl nodded and bowed at Romio. Kuroo didn't waste any time wrapping his arm around her waist as the three of them made their way to the gymnasium, with Yukimi walking between Kuroo and Kenma. The captain's head was completely filled with thoughts about the girl talking to that good-for-nothing boy, he even caught Yukimi smiling during their conversation (which sent a churning wave of uneasiness in his stomach). Meanwhile, Kenma was showing Yukimi the game he really needed to finish, huffing at yet another loss on his part. The game was becoming boring in the second-year's eyes and he was also losing all the thrill he felt while playing a strong opponent. The setter lent the gaming console to the manager, encouraging her to play since he remembered the number of games she has on her phone. In the end, Kenma was surprised at how Yukimi nearly defeated the giant monster and he was left gawking at the girl's back as she walked towards the changing rooms.

"Oi, Kenma," Kuroo called after he gave an affectionate squeeze on the girl's waist, entering the clubroom. "Why do you look like one of those scared cat pictures?"

Kenma glared at him for the slight teasing before following his childhood friend. "Yukimi-san nearly defeated the monster that I have been stressing on," he answered in his soft-spoken voice, turning into his locker to place his belongings before taking off his sweater vest and tie.

Kuroo looked at the setter with a disbelieving look on his face. "Hana?" Kenma nodded while unbuttoning his short-sleeved shirt. "The girl who is the sweetest and purest?" Once again, Kenma nodded, now taking out a black t-shirt from his bag.

"Her phone is full of games that I played," Kenma told him, smiling slightly as he finished putting on the t-shirt. "Seems like she plays them during her study session breaks. He gave a stunned Kuroo a side-eye. "What? She didn't let you borrow her phone?"

The dark-haired boy was in on a wild ride. First, the girl he absolutely adores talked to the one guy who hurt her, and now, the only person who she lent her phone to was his childhood friend. The next thing would be Yukimi tending to the new first-year as if she raised him. He grumbled under his breath, mulling on the many opportunities he could have if not for his shy nature towards the girl. This behavior of his continued as the pair walked to the gymnasium to start their morning practice, the rest of their team greeting him in utmost enthusiasm that sent Kuroo's bad mood blazing even more. So immersed in his self-pity, Kuroo didn't see how Yukimi cast looks of concern from where she stood beside the two coaches.