Setting The Wolf Free - Ch 22

Start from the beginning

“Women…” Shikamaru sighs, running a hand down his face. “So troublesome…”

“You two are gonna pay for not helping me out!” I shout after them, making Kiba chuckle again. “I hate you Kiba…”

“I don’t know why you’re so opposed to going to sleep for awhile” he muses, raising an eyebrow. “You probably need some sleep.”

“You know, it’s really hard to have a conversation with you when I’m facing this way” I mutter, making Kiba laugh.

“I’m sure you can manage Jonin” he teases, a wry smile tugging at my lips.

“Just put me down now Mutt.”

“Promise you won’t run away?” he questions seriously. “Coz I’ll carry you the whole way if I have to.”

“Ugh, fine” I sigh in defeat, blanching. I smile however, when Kiba sets me down on the ground, allowing me to actually walk.

“Ahh!” I breathe, stretching my arms up in the air. “Much better!”

I laugh as Kiba rolls his eyes and continues walking, leaving me behind. Smiling to myself, I jog after him and grab onto his hand, catching him by surprise.

He hides it well though, his little smile dropping into a casual look, as he entwines his fingers with mine, gazing ahead.

As we walk in comfortable silence, the smile slowly drops from my face, that weird feeling hitting me again. I can still sense that strange chakra in the air, and it’s really bothering me. It’s putting me on edge, but I have no idea why. Hakuba seems to think it’s from the Nine Tails inside of Naruto, but I’ve never sensed his chakra when he’s left the Village before, so why would I suddenly be sensing it now?

“Aw dammit” Kiba mutters, snapping me out of my thoughts. I glance up, seeing that we’re now standing just outside of his house.

“What’s wrong?” I ask curiously, taking note of how pretty the sky is at sunset. It’s all different colours, like an elaborate water colour painting.

“My Mom’s home” Kiba informs me blandly, pushing his door open and dragging me inside. “Let’s just try to get by her without-”

“Hi Tsume!” I call, smiling brightly at Kiba when he gives me a withering look. What can I say? I may love him, but it’s still fun as anything to tick him off every now and then.

A head with messy brown hair pokes around the corner, purple lips pulling up into a sharp toothed smirk.

“Ashley” the tall Inuzuka woman greets, stepping into the room and placing a hand on her hip. “Nice to see ya. You Kiba, not so much.”

“I’m not so thrilled about you being here either old lady” Kiba grumbles, pulling a face and stalking towards his room, tugging me along behind.

Tsume crosses her arms, leaning her back against the wall and smirking at us, following us with her eyes.

“If you’re going to bed” Tsume says pointedly, sounding amused, “Try to keep it down okay? Some people will actually be trying to sleep tonight.”

I stare at the floor in embarrassment, as Kiba grows an anime vein and whirls around, waving a fist at his Mother.

“Shut up you crazy old hag!” he exclaims crazily. “We’re not- We aren’t……Just shut up!”

With that, he turns and sprints to his room, pulling me along behind him. He swings me over to the bed, making me collapse face first onto the mattress, as he slams his door shut and heaves a heavy sigh.