I obey. She's looking at me in a very unimpressed way.

"Have you finished putting words into my mouth?"

"It's not that, it's just..."

"It's just that nothing, you take a completely innocent phrase out of context and use it to poke at your insecurities. What do you expect from me, then? A blanket sentence telling you that of course, it wasn't too soon to enter in a relationship with him?"

I shrug.

"No. Your honest opinion will suffice."

Elsa shakes her head.

"You're lucky you're so cute otherwise I'll have boxed your ears!"

"Hey!"

"You've always had my sincere opinion."

"I didn't mean that..."

"Hush," she says, briefly putting her index finger to my lips to silence me. "Stop talking or you'll get confused again. Just tell me yes or no, that's enough."

She takes her hand away before she considers me with a shrewd eye.

"Do you feel at ease with him?"

"Yes, of course..."

"Yes will suffice. You're sure about your feelings?"

"Yes."

"Is he being respectful?"

"Do you really think that..."

"Yes or no!"

"Yes, okay!"

"Is he good in bed?"

"Elsa!"

She raises an eyebrow, definitely unrepentant.

"Don't give me that holier-than-thou attitude, I know it's important to you. So I'm asking..."

I can feel my ears getting red, especially when images of our last date come to mind. I'll never see Aden's office the same way again.

"Yeah, are you happy now?"

"Ecstatic. You've got all the green lights, so what are you afraid of?"

"I'm not afraid per se," I grumble.

I shrug. It's hard to explain sometimes the ideas that go through me when I think of Aden. I don't have any doubts about him or me specifically, or about the idea of a relationship, but it's still normal to have apprehensions, isn't it? Or is it just me?

"You know, cutie pie, there's no appropriate time to get to know a person before entering into a relationship with them. You might as well have known him for five days or five years. Just because you've known him for a long time before dating him doesn't mean it's a guarantee of a happy ending... Trust me on that account."

Her bright face darkens slightly, and that's enough for me to know I've touched on a sensitive topic.

I can't help but wince.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you with this..."

She winks at me.

"You didn't, my dear. It's water under the bridge. If you wanna know..."

She lets out a sigh.

"I knew my former husband since I was 11 and moved to London. Our families were neighbours, we grew up together, we went to the same school. We were thick as thieves, each one in the other's pocket, the terrors in our neighbourhood. We became childhood sweethearts before dating seriously much later. He proposed at the prom celebration."

Damned, that's romantic.

"What happened?"

"We married one year later – big feast, dream honeymoon, the whole package. Then three months later, I discovered by accident he was cheating on me with his secretary."

"What?" I exclaim with a disgusted look on my face.

She shoots me a pained smile.

"And it was going on for more than a year. I assume she was either fine with it or expecting him to get a divorce..."

What do you want to say to that? Instead of getting lost in empty words, I pull Elsa into a huge hug.

"Men are trash," I whisper in her ear and I feel her laughing against me.

"Not all of them, cutie pie, and fortunately! Don't worry, I've found way better than him since then... and I'm glad you've found your Aden."

I tighten my embrace and we stay that way for long seconds.

☕️☕️☕️

Enjoyed your read? Vote, share and comment!