Chapter One

Alessandra Drakkon

Queen of the Drakkon Empire

With Yanu's help, I strip off that horrid wedding dress and throw it in the fire. "Was stabbing and insulting him a smart choice, your majesty?" Her words are quiet and not exactly one hundred percent welcome, but I know that she is right.

"Insulting him was probably too much, and stabbing him even when he tried to manhandle me was probably a mistake, but it sure felt good to do in the moment." Smirking Tanza walks back into the room with a new outfit for me to change into. I watch as the purple flames eat at the fabric, though I frown in dissatisfaction as I watch the female Arachne silk resist the flames, I bet if I pulled it out right now, it would be perfectly intact.

"He deserved it, don't feel bad for doing that your majesty, if not for you stabbing him, I would have sliced his throat, and Raywin was aiming an arrow at his throat as well," Talon speaks from the shadows, but I don't jump in surprise, knowing he has been there the whole time. I change into the simple black dress Tanza picked out, knowing my other guards feel similar but choose not to say so, Yanu helps me pull my hair up into a neat bun.

I wait for everyone to come to tell me what a huge mistake I've made. It doesn't take them long, both Damien and Titus come rushing in after me minutes later, I raise a hand to silence them before they can even begin to lecture me. "I know I made a rash decision, I apologize." Titus's mouth falls open in surprise as if he cannot believe what I am saying.

"Apologize! You stabbed the ruler of another High House, this could mean war! Apologies will not satisfy Cedric's rage." I chuckle at his words, rushing to cover my mouth before anything else slips out.

"I'm sorry, I think you've misunderstood me. I was apologizing to both of you for the mess I will have caused by stabbing Cedric, I will not be apologizing for stabbing him." Titus sputters at my words, utterly appalled by my apparent carefree attitude regarding the situation.

"I've never met a ruler so disregarding of their Empire. You could have started a war over something such as not wanting to marry him?" My carefree attitude abruptly disappears as I glare at Titus.

"Disregarding of my Empire? I was prepared to sacrifice one thousand years of happiness for this Empire, I was prepared to marry someone who was actively plotting to kill me after our marriage for this Empire. You know nothing of sacrifice Titus, after meeting Isbeth could you force yourself to love another? I very much doubt it, I may not have met my soul mate like you Titus, but I do know that the dark twisted bastard that is the ruler of House Trennix is not him. Besides does my father still being alive mean nothing to you, before you were so eager at the thought of him being alive, are you so disloyal that you don't care?" I was furious with his attitude, none of the other royals were expected to hold up the stupid betrothal so why was I expected to?

"Of course, your father being alive is a good thing, but unless you can find him in two and a half months, he will have no claim remaining on the throne and thus unable to dispute the betrothal agreement, you've made a grave mistake slighting your future husband." I appreciated that he wasn't afraid to disagree with my opinions, but he was stepping over the line.

"What does it matter if I slighted him or not, marrying me is raising him two steps above his current station, even if I've made him hate me, he won't refuse marriage now, even if I asked him to. Besides, currently, there is no lasting effect from my refusal, if I were to separate from him after we were married, he would get a portion of Drakkon industries." Damien whistles loudly making me wince, he glares at the both of us, obviously having tried to speak before but was unable to get a word out amongst our bickering.