(I) Earth

I'm not the biggest fan of traveling by air, especially considering how absolutely terrified I am of heights, but it certainly beats traveling by water. For the past weeks since we left the North Pole, we've been traveling on a Water Tribe ship provided by Chief Arnook of the Northern Water Tribe to supposedly give us a lift to the Earth Kingdom's shores, and I never thought I'd miss land as much as I do now. Heck, even the North Pole's solid icy floor seems like a better alternative. Katara, being a waterbender, is beyond delighted, as is Sokka, who I guess had missed hanging out with other people from his tribe. The only other person not having as much fun other than me is Aang, but I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with the boat thing.

For the past few nights, he's woken up with these nightmares. He hasn't really talked about them yet, but I can tell that they are bothering him. I should know: I get plenty of nightmares myself sometimes. Sometimes they mean something, but sometimes they don't.

That's why I am concerned, but not surprised, that he woke up in the middle of the night again, gasping as if someone had been threatening his own life. I watched him go to the upper deck, and I'm still debating on whether or not I should go after him. I don't want to wake the others up, but I can't just let him be on his own, not when I know he's going through something.

So I do the logical thing and follow him.

I find him standing by the ledge of the ship, gazing aimlessly at the distance. This might actually be the first time I have ever been able to sneak up on him.

"Hey," I say, startling him slightly.

"Oh. Alya. Did I wake you?"

I shake my head and lie. "No, not at all."

"Well... That makes me feel better."

"Aang... What's going on?"

"Nothing. I'll be fine," he assures me, but just by the fact that he's unable to meet my eyes, I already know he's lying.

"Is it the nightmares again?" I ask him, and he tenses slightly, probably feeling uncomfortable about talking about it. "It's alright. I get those, too. Sometimes I get eaten by the Unagi."

He shakes his head. "Mine are not that kind of bad. I was in the Avatar State, but I was outside my body watching myself. It was scary. I was scary."

"You? Scary?" I say, rolling my eyes playfully. "Hungry Sokka is scary. Irritated Katara is scary. Heck, even tired Appa can scare me. Sorry to burst your bubble, Aangy, but you're the furthest thing from scary."

"I'm serious, Alya," he replies, his eyes not seeming the slightest bit amused. "What if I lost control? I could hurt someone."

"Hey, it's alright," I say, putting my hand on his shoulder and smiling gently. "Listen, if it comes down to that, I promise you, I will stop you from hurting people myself."

"Don't make promises you can't keep."

***

The next morning, Pakku finally announces that we're a few miles away from the Earth Kingdom's shores. I pretend to be sad to part ways with them, but secretly, celebrate the fact that my seasick days are finally over. Now it's back to dealing with my acrophobia again.

"Katara, I want you to have this," Pakku says, giving Katara a fancy flask. "This amulet contains water from the Spirit Oasis. The water has unique properties. Don't lose it."

"Thank you, Master Pakku," Katara nods, briefly hugging him before getting her things back on Appa.

"Aang, these scrolls will help you master waterbending. But remember, they're no substitute for a real master," Pakku continues, giving Aang a box with scrolls, which he gladly accepts and takes to the saddle. He turns to me with a sad smile. "Young Alya, for you, I have a gift sent from Chief Arnook himself, as a thank you for your bravery in defending our city."